Author Topic: question about blades  (Read 1288 times)

Offline red river

• View Profile
question about blades
« on: December 26, 2020, 03:56:42 pm »
Hi ya'll....need a little direction on what are the best type patterns to use spiral blades. For example, Steve's Wolf Saw Blade and Wolf mini clock,seems to me that spirals are in order and Wolf Arrowhead you might use a flat blade. Can anyone point out some of Steve's patterns that would be best served by using spiral blades? Thanks in advance.....Forrest

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: question about blades
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 09:53:49 am »
I use spirals for every thing. go slow and practice
I'm from North Dakota

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 03:41:49 pm »
     I am a little late getting here but blade talk is my thing. I have more than twenty different size styles, and makes of blades. I do very small cut outs in large works. Wolf mini clock.
     I seldom use spiral blades, but they do have their purpose. In fact every blade in my arsenal has its purpose although I only have two or three that are mainstays. It really depends on the wood you will use, the project, and whether you are stack cutting etc.  I looked at those wolf patterns you mentioned. If I were cutting the clock of Steve's I would indeed use spiral for a lot of it. But not all.
     I would use the smallest shark tooth I could find [3/0] depending on your wood and thickness. Perhaps an FD 2/0 Superior puzzle blade for parts of it.
    So I would indeed go with a spiral blade.  But I do think we all have our own preferences in cuts since many blades would work for much of what we do. We just like certain things certain ways. Spiral sounds good for that wolf. 

Offline Gary Beasley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 11:58:31 pm »
Spiral blades are just about standard practice when doing portrait and picture patterns as they allow complex cuts without all the twisting and turning a straight blade requires. They can be a bear to learn to control, especially if you are accustomed to how a straight blade behaves. They are also handy for cutting spiral candlesticks, watch George North of Gwinnett Woodworkers for a demo

https://youtu.be/bEMfRk2wxHs

SMF

Teknoromi