Author Topic: Picture Puzzles  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Coffeepot

• Something good is brewing
    • View Profile
Picture Puzzles
« on: December 07, 2020, 09:41:14 am »
Looking at Steve's new pattern today with the Christmas card puzzle, made me think that you could also use just about any pretty Christmas card top to make into puzzle-many are the size of the puzzle template.   

Scrolling has its perks

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Picture Puzzles
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 12:38:06 pm »
Although I agree with coffeepot and considered the same idea, one draw-back is that the
card stock from most Christmas cards will not be as durable as photo paper.
That may not be much of a deterrent since I doubt that the puzzle will be taken apart and
re--assembled very often.
Just my humble opinions.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 09:36:03 am »
Actually a lot puzzle makers use Christmas cards and calendars for their images.  Do do want to make sure you choose something that looks like it's at least a bit durable.

Me, for my puzzle making I'm using archival inkjet prints hot-mounted to 1/4" with a protective laminate over the top but that's a different kind of set up than doing a cool card for a friend or two.

KCSteve :->

(Scroll-Right.com will get you to my Etsy shop)

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 07:26:18 am »
Me, for my puzzle making I'm using archival inkjet prints hot-mounted to 1/4" with a protective laminate over the top but that's a different kind of set up than doing a cool card for a friend or two.
Not trying to get you to give away state secrets, but can you speak a bit more about the "protective laminate" you mention?  What is this?

Jigsaw puzzles are something I have been meaning to try, once I get caught up on everything else.  Trouble is, life seems more than capable of finding other stuff that needs doing faster than I can catch up!
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline ddockstader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 12:04:15 pm »
Trouble is, life seems more than capable of finding other stuff that needs doing faster than I can catch up!

Truer words were never spoken. I think I need to put that in a scroll saw sign!

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 08:47:00 am »
rfielder,

Inkjet photos tend to be a bit fragile - easily scratched & such - which seems bad for a jigsaw so I put a clear laminate over the top.  At first I got some 3 mil (tried thinner - not worth it) self- adhesive stuff.  Now I've switched to a hot press so I use a laminate made for that.

Mark explains the basic cold process in his videos (Mark's Custom Puzzles on YouTube).  Use Super 77 spray to stick the image down.  Spray the board and the back of the picture, wait about 1 minute for them to get tacky.  Smooth it down carefully, then cover with baker's parchment, a layer of craft foam, a board, and some weight and let it sit overnight to get fully bonded.  If using something with a fragile surface like an inkjet print, I say add the clear laminate before you let it set up.

A tip for getting the sticky things in place right: put a sheet of baking parchment over the bottom layer (wood first, then image for the laminate).  Leave about 1" at one end showing.  Put the next layer over it and get it all lined up.  Now smooth the exposed surfaces together (not all the way to the parchment - you're just tacking it down).  Slide the parchment over a bit to expose more, smooth toward it, repeat untl done.  The silicone treated baking parchment is very non-stick so you can get everything lined up well.  By smoothing down just a bit at a time you get fewer bubbles and it's easier to smooth them out.

The hot press method needs a t-shirt press bigger than your largest puzzle you want to do, some very expensive heat conducting foam (it's called 'green rubber'), dry-mount tissue and a laminate that's temperature compatible.  The ones I use are called Tri-Mount tissue and Digital Laminate.  Both fuse at 195 so I set the press to 210 (need to get a bit above 195).  Takes forever for everything to come to temp before I can press a puzzle.  If anyone's interested enough to spend $1,000 on equipment & supplies I can give more details.

Can you guess how I've spent my time since March?  ;)

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 08:02:40 am »
KCSteve - thanks for the process description!

Where do you source your laminate?  My first though would be Amazon, but it sounds like you have a setup that would have also gotten you some actually suppliers rather than retail.
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 09:11:05 am »
The cold laminate I got off of Amazon but check office supply and art places near you.  The key is to get the thicker 3-mil.  Some thinner stuff I got at an Office Max just didn't cut it.

If you want to make the big investments I got the dry-mount tissue from DryMountTissue.com - https://www.drymounttissue.com/product/trimount-dry-mount-tissue/
and the laminate was from LaminationDepot.com  It's the 3-mil Digital.  I got the 25"x250' https://www.laminationdepot.com/laminating-supplies-and-equipment/roll-laminating-film/digital

You also need a big t-shirt press to use it, which I got through Amazon.  Usual caveats for picking a good supplier (all the presses seem similar).  Since I have an 18" saw I got a 16x24 press.

The hardest thing to find is the special rubber.  Do a search on "green rubber heat conductive" and you'll pull up several choices of the special heat-conductive pad.  Darn stuff costs an arm and a leg.  Search for the best price.  I think I got mine here: https://dyetrans.com/products.php?webmaincat=heat_press&websubcat=production_accessories&websubcat2=green_rubber

Give me an email and I can send you a document I wrote up with all the details.  But like I said, this is the expensive way to do it.  It is kind of neat having a t-shirt press around though.  I've also used it in making kydex holsters and yes, even a couple of shirts.

KCSteve :->

Offline Gary Beasley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 12:04:59 am »
A bit of spray glue and some 1/8” baltic birch ply is all you need. Christmas cards are indeed great for doing puzzles, and family photos made into puzzles make great gifts as well. Peel and stick clear plastic laminate can help make it more durable but not strictly neccesary.

SMF

Teknoromi