Author Topic: Pegas 21" Scroll saw  (Read 1993 times)

Offline richardh42

• View Profile
Pegas 21" Scroll saw
« on: November 13, 2020, 09:57:32 pm »
I just received my Pegas 21" scroll saw.  The stand is back ordered until late Nov.  I did order the foot switch and light.  Any Pegas users have any suggestions on setting up for the first time?

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
Re: Pegas 21" Scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 09:03:04 pm »
Not a Pegas user but until your real stand gets here you can probably knock a nice enough one together with 2x4's and some heavy plywood for the top.  Since you have the real stand coming it just has to be steady and sturdy.

Because I don't have a dedicated area I made a cart for my 18" Jet.  Put it on 3 casters (3 will always be stable) with locks.  Works well for me.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 08:31:52 am »
The Pegas stand looks the same as for the EX.

I fitted a shelf on the bottom rails.  It makes it a little sturdier and it is easier to do as you assemble.

Enjoy.

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 11:46:45 am »
My Excalibur EX-21 came with a stand.  Because I have a small one car garage as a shop, I disassembled the stand and put it away.  The saw sits on a mobile cabinet instead, with drawers for storage.  Lives against the back wall of the garage when not in use.  Two other mobile cabinets have to be moved to bring it out, but with the right castors, all that is very easy.

The cabinets are made with 2x4's, with 1/2" plywood sides and 3/4" plywood top and bottom.  The tools are bolted onto the tops very solid.  All the drawers are just pine.  Game me a huge increase in storage!  Plus the items stored are related to the tool on top - cutting tools in the bandsaw cabinet, drilling tools and bits in the drill press cabinet, grinding and sanding in the grinder/sander cabinet, etc.

Too bad you are not closer - you could have the stand from my EX-21.

As to setup - I understand that the Pegas 21" is based on the same design as my Excalibur EX-21.  One thing there seems to be confusion about with this style of scroll saw is how to tension blades.

Some people refer to the knob that raises and lowers the arm as setting the tension.  In fact, the tension is set by the springs in the chuck lever.  You use the knob to ensure the upper arm is parallel to the lower arm.  Since the lower arm should be parallel to the table, you set the upper arm parallel to the table.  I do this with a gauge that is a piece of wood cut to the right length - just shy of 2 3/4" on my saw.  The correct length for the gauge is found when the distance from the upper arm to the table is the same at the front and at the back.

I put two magnets into the wood so that is lives on the side of the upper arm, ready for use.  You use the gauge each time before starting a scroll saw session.

My EX-21 is a few years old.  I replaced the upper and lower chucks with the Pegas units.  Very nice!
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 01:57:58 am »
i'm in the same boat Richard. Received my pegas about a week ago still waiting on the stand.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2W-igyzhcI&t=302s this video by Steve is shows one thing i'm going to do while i wait for the stand to arrive. i would like to protect the table surface as much as possible.

Offline Zoot Fenster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 01:42:22 pm »
My Pegas and stand came in a couple of months ago. Everything fit together beautifully which is not always the case with home quality woodworking equipment.  The only weakness in dust collection.  The little plastic flap created so much noise that I removed it.  So poor dust collection is basically my fault.  I have no other experience with scroll saws, but this machine is nice.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.

Offline Dremel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 09:02:01 am »
I too was perplexed by not having a stand available for my new Pegas 21 Richard. My solution was to mount it to the top of an old metal file cabinet. It just fit on the top of the cabinet. I did make some simple modifications - added wheels to the rear of cabinet base so I can move the saw around easer. I reinforced the top of the cabinet with a piece of 1/2 inch MDF and added a concrete block to the bottom drawer to contract the weight of the saw's motor and keep the saw from too easily tipping backward.

Other additions were a Harbor Freight foot switch and a magnetic sewing machine light from Amazon.

This set up fits perfectly it the spot I needed in my shop. At this point I'm totally happy with my setup and don't plan to buy the OEM stand when/if it becomes available. (Pictures attached)

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 09:36:53 am »
That looks like a great setup!

You can store patterns and such in the top drawer - heck, it looks like it was made for that kind of thing!  ;)

I'm going to edit my cart today.  I got a better seat (Harbor Freight rolling stool with a saddle top - good but you need a pad on top because the front frame is NOT padded).  With the new seat my saw is 3" too high so I can either make my back or my legs happy.  Since you can't un-cut wood I've given it some time to make sure what change I want.

KCSteve :->

Offline Dremel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 07:41:08 pm »
Yes sir. I hav a lot of junk stored in the drawers of the file cabinet. I plan on making some dividers and etc. to keep stuff organized.

BTW I have a similar setup for my Ryobi bench top drill press.

SMF

Teknoromi