Author Topic: jet 18 inch scroll saw  (Read 1564 times)

Offline masslumber

• View Profile
jet 18 inch scroll saw
« on: October 26, 2020, 12:06:51 pm »
I recently purchased the jet 18 inch scrollsaw. I currently have the excaliber 16 inch saw which I like very much. I got such a good price on the jet that I couldn't pass it up. I was very weary about the blade holders on the jet as I heard it is a love hate relationship with them. I really like the blade holders on the jet better than the excaliber, its so much easier to put the blade in the lower jet holders compared to the excaliber. was wondering if anybody else has any opinions on this? I have to sell one and I think it will be the excaliber.

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
Re: jet 18 inch scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 06:40:42 pm »
I also have a love the 18" Jet.  Blade changes are quick and easy.

One tip that might save you the 6 months it took me to figure it out  :o
That big knob at the back is NOT how you set the blade tension.  It's just to get the arms parallel.  It does do a crude job of setting the tension but the actual way is by rotating the lever of the blade clamp.  Spin it clockwise for tighter, CC for looser.  Once it's set, it's set.

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 09:35:44 am »
Looking at the photos of the Jet 18 on the JET website, it looks like a variation of the original Excalibur design.

Major modification to the lower blade holder, which will make it a bottom feed only design.  Is that correct?
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 06:35:39 pm »
Yep, bottom feed only.  BUT since the lower blade holder is a separate piece you can actually feed the blade up through the wood right at the front edge of the table - that's what that long slot is for.  Of course, then you have to slide everything back and get the blade holder into it's spot.  I've not had to do this but it's nice to know there is an option if needed.

And you can get 3-packs of the lower blade holders on Amazon for about $24 so you can have a set of blades loaded and ready to go making blade changes extremely fast.  Once again, not something I'm doing, just nice to know it's available.

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:45:10 am »
Pegas makes a head replacement set for the Jet.  It replaces the lower blade holder, allowing top feeding for those who prefer such.

If you are happy with how the Jet is designed, no need to consider the Pegas parts.  These at least allow top feeders to keep the Jet in their short list.

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 11:46:07 am »
I own both the new Jet 22 and Excalibur 16"
   I have used both of these saw extensively and found the Jet to be totally easier
to work with considering blades. I have several holders pre set up in the jet and simply
just pull one out and load the next until all blades spent.
    As far as quality?  I found the Excalibur had a bit more noise but was just as smooth as the Jet. But you refer to blades.
    So I set up one saw with one type of blade and the other another type.
Further I make my own sanding solution for scroll work and finishing.
    Here is where the Excalibur shines.  Since I use a heavy blade and use adhesive sandpaper folded over the blade to sand with I found the Jet will not work well for that.
In other words the Excalibur I use for sanding and the Jet for cutting. 
   FYI as I know someone may ask:   Sanding:   I take a heavier blade such as a no 4 with less teeth.  Touch grind that blade so the teeth do not extend out.[teeth always protrude to the left or right and must be leveled off]  I take a small piece of self adhesive sandpaper and fold it over the blade so it adheres to itself.   Trim it and use it to sand rough edges etc.  Thats what I use my Excalibur for mainly.
but I do not find the Jet difficult to blade change at all, and since I have a pretty good case of arthritis in my hands the Jet helps me out quite a lot....I also took one of steves free patterns and made oversize knobs for both of my saws and they work great   Hope this all helps...

Offline masslumber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 04:37:29 pm »
I too have the excalibur 16 inch saw, which I am selling as of now. I also find the jet easier to change blades. once you get the hang of putting the blade in the lower holder you don't even have to look.

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 10:35:05 am »
I too have the excalibur 16 inch saw, which I am selling as of now. I also find the jet easier to change blades. once you get the hang of putting the blade in the lower holder you don't even have to look.
I would assume you are a bottom feeder?  (I hate that term!)

I am a top feeder.  With my Excalibur EX-21, I find it very easy, same as you I don't have to look to put the blade into the lower chuck.

Perhaps that is the difference - bottom feeders will find the Jet best to work with, while top feeders will find the Excalibur-type saws equally easy.

SMF

Teknoromi