Author Topic: Pegas #2R blades  (Read 2119 times)

Offline bobphcs

• View Profile
Pegas #2R blades
« on: March 24, 2020, 10:24:17 am »
For some strange reason I can not use Pegas #2 blades.  As soon as I put a bit of tension on the blade, even before actual cutting, it snaps.  I'm using a Pegas saw.  I'm having no problem with #1 or #3 blades.  I use 2s rarely, but it is frustrating for me.  I can accomplish the rare cuts with a #1, but I have to cut dead slow. 

Is anyone else having that problem?

Offline GLC

• View Profile
Re: Pegas #2R blades
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 11:23:02 am »
Have you contacted the saw or blades supplier to see if there is some history there?  You might try contacting gwinnetwoodworkers.com as they have some very savvy folks there on scroll saws.  Regards > GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 03:46:18 pm »
I have read on other forums that there has been some bad batches of Pegas blades that break easily.

I would go back to who ever you bought the blades from and see what they say or contact Bob Duncan at www.GrobetUSA.com

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 05:37:25 pm »
I'm might be better off if the 2/0's I have were breaking.  I'm trying to learn to cut puzzles but when it comes to the 2/0 blades I have absolutely no control over the darn things.  The blade wanders off to the left or right, starts drifting off at weird angles.

It's like one of us is drunk and since I don't drink...

My tension is high - on some tests insanely high with no effect.

The only thing I've found that helps at all is setting my saw's speed down as low as it can go.  The blade cuts through the wood only a little slower than at a normal speed but at least it's sorta kinda maybe under some sort of control.

Hope your problem gets resolved soon.

Offline Berta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 03:58:36 pm »
I tried the Pegas blades, don’t like them. They break too easy. 

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 12:30:12 pm »
Pegus makes a beautiful machine.  Designs of most major machines are similar but not blades. I learned early on that blades are in the eyes of the beholder.  At first I began with Olson.  Hated them. So many of them seemed to simply snap at first sign of wear.  I still don't like the Olson blades, even PGT  but for their sharktooth line. 
   Pegas makes blades and machines.  You can have anything fail, and it sounds like they had a bad run on their 2/0  I would contact them with the problem.  but I would also keep in mind, just because you own a Pegas machine doesn't mean you are stuck with using Pegas blades.  I had to get past my bias and  have a large supply of various types of
and makes of blades from Olson and Sharktooth, to flying dutchman, to Pegas,  and more.  Each has their use.  Until you solve your problem try the Flying dutchman 2/0. at least until you resolve your issues what works best for, and find an alternate for all of them should you run into problems.  It is always desirable to have a fall back when you are at work and concentrating on your cuts.   Don't know if this helps but just thought I would provide my imput.

SMF

Teknoromi