Author Topic: 1/8" wood  (Read 2160 times)

Offline APG (Al)

• View Profile
1/8" wood
« on: September 13, 2015, 01:00:45 pm »
I'm considering making some Christmas ornament earings that Steve posting on his blog a while back.  The wood used was 1/8" thick.  In general what do you guys and gals do to get the 1/8" thickness.  Buy it somewhere or band saw?

Thanks, Al

thewoodartist

Re: 1/8" wood
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 01:58:33 pm »
Plane it down on a planner. Most of the hardwoods I get come straight from 2 local mills rough milled to 1" thick. Then I either just plane to the thickness I want or resaw them in half on a bandsaw and then plane them. It's hard to find hardwoods that are thinner than 3/4 inch. If you use plywood, it's hard to find it any thinner than 1/4" unless you special order it or get what they call utility board and honestly that isn't great for scrolling.

Offline APG (Al)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 02:51:16 pm »
That's how I thought I would have to do it.  And I've done it before but never to 1/8".  And even if I could get the plywood that thin I don't think that I would use it for jewerly.  Thanks for the reply.

Al

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 03:45:40 pm »
You can buy 1/8" hardwood from both Scroller and Ocooch Hardwoods.  I've never actually ordered wood from Scroller, but I have purchased 1/4" from Ocooch, before I got my band saw, and the wood was very nice.

Websites, if you need them, are www.scrolleronline.com  or www.ocoochhardwoods.com

Hope this helps.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline APG (Al)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 07:30:53 pm »
Nancy, thank you for the info, I'll check it out.

Al

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 11:39:31 pm »
Some wood is difficult to plane as thin as 1/8.  It can lift into the planner blades and basically shatter.  When I need to go that thin I plane it to about 1/4 then switch to a wide belt sander and take it down from there.  Maybe you have an acquaintance that has a sander.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline APG (Al)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 11:56:00 am »
Well, strange but good thing happened this morning.  I needed a piece of 5/4 red oak for a mantel I'm making and as I was checking out from my local hardware guy I noticed some very thin wood leaning against the wall.  What size I asked and he said a skinny 1/8".  Do you have any 1/8" I ask and he took me in the back and I saw a shelf full of 1/8" wood approx. 5"Wx 18" long +/-.  Price .50 per piece.  I grabbed 5 pieces and he said just take them, no charge.

Thanks to all for their response's

Al

SMF

Teknoromi