Author Topic: 1/2" wood for ornaments?  (Read 3206 times)

jlmoulto

1/2" wood for ornaments?
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:12:51 pm »
I know a number of the patterns indicate 1/4" wood, however locally 1/4" wood is very hard to get.  I also don't own a planer at the moment.  I do have access to some oak that is 1/2" think.  Anyone see any issues using slightly thicker material?

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 1/2" wood for ornaments?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:35:27 pm »
You can use any thickness you prefer. Thicker ornaments generally means heavier ornaments. There are many online stores that sell thin hardwoods and plywood at reasonable prices. With thin stock you can stack cut which gives you more for the time behind the saw.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

jlmoulto

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:42:36 pm »
I'd rather thin stock, but shipping to where I am is a bit high.  I'm hoping to become more proficient before screwing up on the expensive wood :)  Here is a simple stocking I cut out tonight.  Needs a bit more sanding and refinishing.  Cut from a scrap piece of pallet wood.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 07:08:22 am »
Great start. I like the rustic look. For free wood, don't be afraid to go trash-picking and dumpster-diving. Some small cabinet drawers have 6 mm plywood on the bottom and is good enough for scolling.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 08:12:40 am »
You can go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase 2' x 2' x 1/4" birch at a reasonable price and can cut a lot of ornaments from it. I know it is not Baltic, but, for most ornaments it will be fine. I believe I have even found 1/8" at Lowes. Also, get there early and dig through the scrap bin.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 09:36:31 am »
I like to us 1/4" oak for my ornaments , Lowes and H D both carry it, but find  Lowes is better, they also carry 1/2".  edward

jlmoulto

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 10:22:54 am »
Unfortunately, Home Depot here does not carry it.  I'll probably order some in, although this morning I pulled out some real thin plywood I had from an old drawer (thanks for the hint!) and it cut decent so I might start looking for a bit more of that material to work with as well.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 12:59:19 pm »
Some folks like to cut MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard). It's inexpensive and makes a decent piece, especially if you plan to paint it after. There's lots of cheap material at places like the Habitat for Humanity re-store or Salvation Army that can be broken down for scrolling.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

jlmoulto

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 06:04:29 pm »
And a quick trip to the local Homedepot, after calling them and dropping in last week with no luck, and what should I find in a corner, but some oak and poplar in 1/4" thick.  $11.00 a piece, 1/4"x6"x4'.

Picked up a piece so all is well.  Thanks for the other ideas as those might come in handy as well.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 07:22:27 pm »
Since you specified for ornaments, the pieces should be small enough that you can
re-saw your 1/2" with a band saw into thinner material also.
Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 09:46:40 pm »
I don't know where you live, but here Lowes 1/4 oak is not my choice.   Much better luck with Menards, but they are only in the Midwest part of USA.

jerry

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 10:29:33 am »
Home Depot does carry 1/4" Poplar and Oak that are cheaper.

vanderrt

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 12:06:54 pm »
I buy from Rockler or Amazon

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 09:51:12 am »
I always use 1/4" oak for ornaments, as they finish up real nice, I also get my oak at Lowes, as I find they have good quality, better then H D.  edward

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 08:52:11 am »
For small parts like ornaments, you can do a decent resaw job using a table saw. It may take 2 cuts to get through the board width, but I've had good luck and the sawn side looks good. Some sanding might be needed to get the saw marks out of it. Be careful if the wood is in short sections. If so, you need a zero-clearance insert on the table saw so the small parts don't fall through or get kicked back at you.

As you showed, pallet wood is a good option to get thin oak for the scroll saw.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi