Author Topic: 1/4" Baltic Birch Plywood, what's the best blade for splinter free cutting?  (Read 7458 times)

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
Hi everyone,
   I've been making Christmas ornaments out of 1/4" Baltic Birch Plywood. In the narrower areas, I have trouble with splintering the bottom veneer out of the plywood. I'm using FD #3 Scroll Reverse blades and change them every ornament. Is there a better blade for this or should I fabricate a zero clearance insert for the DW788?  Thanks in advance.
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

countryscroller

I used to use scroll reverse, now I am using ultra reverse and it cuts down on the splintering on the back side better. Flying Dutchman of course.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
The Ultra Reverse blades will defiantly help with the splintering. To completely  eliminate splintering, stack cut with a layer of scrap plywood on the bottom. That way if you have splintering, it will be on the bottom of the scrap piece.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:26:51 am by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

orangeman

I just finished cutting a dozen puzzle Christmas cards out of 1/4" Baltic Birch and I used Flying Dutchman's superior puzzle blade.  Worked like a charm.

The Puzzleman (aka orangeman)

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
I use an Olsom #3 20/14.  I use this blade on all 1/4 inch & 1/8 inch.  I have no splintering al all, and I do a lot of fret work.  I would not think of useing any other blade because it works for me.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
I tried the scrap wood on the bottom, still had some splintering. Then I tried a zero clearance hardboard top for the saw table, still some splintering. The Superior Puzzle blades I thought would be too slow going so I tried some FD #1 blades I had, turned the speed up and slowed my feed rate down a little. That seemed to do the trick. Thanks everyone for the ideas.
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

SMF

Teknoromi