Author Topic: Newbie Needs Scroll Saw Purchase Input  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Newbie Needs Scroll Saw Purchase Input
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:14:35 am »
I have narrowed my purchase down to three saws: A Delta 40-690 @ Woodcraft for $349.99, a used Dewalt 788 (2 yrs old) on Craigs list for $350.00, or a Excalibur  for $674.99. These all include stand and light. I would appreciate the input from you experienced scrollers out there.

Thanks, Tony
 ::)

bampasr

Re: Newbie Needs Scroll Saw Purchase Input
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:18:30 am »
Tony
I would go with the Dewalt 788. My 2 cents.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:17:20 am »
I have to vote for the Excalibur.  I am not a "money is no object" type of girl, and believe me - I realize that it is quite a bit more expensive than the others.  I avoided moving up to the EX for many years, thinking that my DeWalt would be the last saw I would ever have.  Why should I spend more when I was happy with what I had???

But my saw was wearing out (after 15 years) and since this was my 'business' I needed to start thinking of getting a new one.  I had the original Type 1 DeWalt and had heard from many (many) customers that their Type 2 DeWalts were not living up to their standards.  Right from the get go there seemed to be lots of problems, coupled with poor or non-existent customer service.  (Remember- this is the saw I recommended to my customers for almost 15 years!) I reached a point last year where I no longer felt good telling people to buy this saw when I saw all the problems so many were having.  Not everyone had problems, but many, many did.  I decided to take the plunge and get the EX21 and spend a bit more than I intended. Nearly every review I have read on the EX was positive.  Especially from those who bought from Seyco.  

Even though I live in Canada, I got my saw from Seyco and picked it up last spring when I was in the States.  I know it was a risk, but I heard so much good about them, I was willing to take it.

I never looked back!  This saw is a leap above the DeWalt.  The lack of front to back motion (when adjusted properly) brings your cutting to new levels.  Both my partner and myself feel the same way.  I could never do what I do now on my EX on my old DeWalt.  It is just pure cutting pleasure.  

Sorry to be so long, but I do love this saw.  I have had other high end saws in the past, and I know there are several great saws out there, but I find the ease of controls and the smoothness of cutting (not to mention the tilting head!) a joy to use and it is my #1 recommendation.  

Just my 2 cents. :)  Sheila
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:21:26 am by scrollgirl »
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:06:49 pm »
I am saving my pennies for an excalibur, so if you can afford it that is the direction I would go.
Otherwise I would go with the new Delta.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 12:49:25 pm »
Excalibur from SEYCO.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:51:46 pm »
Excalibur for certain if you can afford it...I switched last year after 12 years with a 788.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 03:53:02 pm »
If you can afford it get the EX!

Between the other two it is a no-brainer. Go for the NEW Delta which is a DW788 in a blue and gray suit. So why chance a used machine with no warranty over a NEW machine?

My thoughts...

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Terry Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 09:10:51 pm »
I have a couple of Hawks (a 20" and a 26"), a Type I DW 788, a Hitachi and an EX21.  They all have their features, but the EX is hands down the overall winner.  If $ are an issue you may be able to find a DW 788 Type I with low hours.  I paid $225 and I doubt it had 10 hours on the saw.

If you do bowls or inlay you will not fight gravity with the EX.
Terry

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:13:37 pm »
I tried the Excaliber, took it back and got the Delta ....
I LOVE it and had money left over to buy more wood ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 12:48:53 am »
delta 40-690 going once, twice, SOLD
GO PACK GO

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 07:48:56 am »
Ditto on every word Sheila said.  My EX is over 8 years old and I bought it used.  I still get great service from Seyco and would not hesitate to buy another EX.

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 09:51:15 am »
Good luck getting the delta at woodcraft. I checked my local woodcraft Saturday as I was going to buy one also. I was told they placed an order with Delta but they never got any saws and were not going to get any in the near future. I asked how they could advertise something they didn't have and apparently could not get and never got an answer. I'm not real impressed with woodcraft anyway but it would have been a good deal. Mike

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »
I want to thank all who replied to my request for help on my first saw purchase. After a lot of research and talking to Ray @ Seyco for about an hour HAHA, I have decided on the Excalibur 21. So, guess I will be headed to Rockwall in a few days!(as soon as my wife lets me have the money !?!)

Tony

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 04:05:21 pm »
Well, Congratulations in advance, Tony!  I don't think you will regret your decision. I am sure that Ray will have that saw running as smooth as silk for you!  It does need initial adjustments, but it will be something that you will hopefully enjoy for years to come!  I am happy for you! :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 12:14:19 am »
Congrats Tony on your decision.  I have a Dewalt and love it.  That said, the Delta at Woodcraft is the best deal on a scrollsaw I have seen in forever.

It has been my experience thou, that if you buy the best you will hardly ever be disappointed.  So the EX is the way to go, if it is in your price range.

Enjoy your new saw  :)

Barry

SMF

Teknoromi