Author Topic: Tight turn tip from Terry  (Read 8165 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Tight turn tip from Terry
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:54:11 pm »
Terry I've never seen anyone explain that before. What a great tip!   ;D ;D ;D 

here it is again.
Thanks Terry, Gabby

"Finally, in making a turn just release all the push and twist force and let the blade just go up and down in the same place. Now turn the piece quickly while also ever so slightly pulling the piece back towards you.  You want to pivot on the back of the blade, not the front."

Durn, I've got all winter to wait before I can try it.  :'(
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SheGold

Re: Tight turn tip from Terry
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 04:43:38 am »
LOL Thats how I do it... Sheila

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:28:04 am »
That is the way it is suppose to be done. I have heard Steve Good describe it that way in some of his videos.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 02:03:33 pm »
Gabby, where have you been all this time? I figured that out on the first project I made eight years ago!

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:44:05 pm »
Gabby, where have you been all this time? I figured that out on the first project I made eight years ago!

Rog

Well smarty you have a 8 year head start on me and you're probably not as timid as I was starting out, still am actually. I hadn't heard or seen it demonstrated as Terry described. Every time I watched a video they made it look so easy just spin that sucker around and go. Yeah right! Steve is probably cutting at 60 MPH as compared to my 5 MPH. After 6 months I've crept up a little faster but no way near what the guys who have been at it for years can do.

I started out to make this a funny response but it gained a life of it's own. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has had these experiences. Untill I started scrolling this spring, probably the only time I ever saw one of these machines demonstrated would have been in wood shop in high school, that's a LONG time ago, and I don't recall ever using one before. So constructive criticism is appreciated but telling me or anyone else how fast a learner you are is out of place. If you were trying to make it a joke a couple of laughs and a  ;D or 2 would have taken the sting out of it.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 09:15:53 am »
Gabby i've been cutting almost two years & cut slow. i dont think i will ever get very fast. it
amazes me when i watch videos of other cutters &see  how fast they go.

cameronj

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »
Works great for me.  That's how I was shown during my first scrollsaw lesson.
Jim

daliclimbs

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 09:32:29 am »
That's How I do it. If you don't do it naturally, that's a good nugget of info for us newbies to keep in mind, as we learn to do it naturally..

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 05:18:44 am »
I have to apologize to Roger, I really didn't mean to unload on him.

Bad hair day I guess. What hair you say? on my face where it belongs you guys with hair on top have it all wrong. LOL

Back to my reason for this post, I just want Rog to know I'm not PO'd at him and a public apology was called for I think.

I've never had a lesson on the scroll saw the closest I've come are the instructional videos I've seen on the internet, especially Steve's. He may have shown that technique and I missed it in my ignorance or it may have just gone right by without registering on my tired old brain.
So when Terry explained it so well I just had to share it with everyone. Part of my gabby nature ya know.
So if one other person benefited from my placing it here for everyone to see it was worth it.
That's my dollar 2.98 cents worth.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 11:08:34 am »
Gabby,
Don't worry about it. I was just surprised that you hadn't done that just naturally. When I come to a sharp corner it just seems natural to stop and back off just a bit before making a turn.
I didn't mean to sound so smart @$$ with my comment either.
If it is a real sharp corner, I sometimes back up quite a ways and cross over to the other side and cut back into the point, take out the small drop piece and spin the wood around 180 degrees and cut my way out on the other line.
Just another hint for newbies trying to cut over 90 degree corners.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 02:42:29 am »
Gabby,
Don't worry about it. I was just surprised that you hadn't done that just naturally. When I come to a sharp corner it just seems natural to stop and back off just a bit before making a turn.
I didn't mean to sound so smart @$$ with my comment either.
If it is a real sharp corner, I sometimes back up quite a ways and cross over to the other side and cut back into the point, take out the small drop piece and spin the wood around 180 degrees and cut my way out on the other line.
Just another hint for newbies trying to cut over 90 degree corners.

Rog

Thank you sir here's a  :-* to make up.  ;D

You didn't really expect me to stay serious did you?

What you just described is what I've been doing it's slower than the spin but my shakey hands aren't as apt to get me in trouble that way. I'm looking forward to next season to see if I can get it to work right for me.
Thanks again,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

bruno714

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 12:28:01 pm »
Thank the Lord, y'all. I thought I was just doing it wrong or cheating the corners. I've only been cuttin' for about a year or so, so let me say THANK YOU to Gabby and Roger for the insight. I guess there's really no wrong way just as long as it's SAFETY FIRST. ;D

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 02:15:49 pm »
Hey Bruno,
I'm vindicated, at least one person benefited from my post.
That's why I did it!
Thank you,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

ChuckD

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 05:18:50 pm »
I think there is one more thing you can add to this tip.  To increase control and to have a pivot point, you can place your fore finger of your left hand right next to the blades and you can have more control and sharper corners even for a nearly 180 degree turn.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 01:14:09 am »
I think there is one more thing you can add to this tip.  To increase control and to have a pivot point, you can place your fore finger of your left hand right next to the blades and you can have more control and sharper corners even for a nearly 180 degree turn.

Chuck, remember what I said about shakey hands? LOL
Yup I do that but not too close.  :)
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi