Author Topic: Here is another tip in removing patterns  (Read 5622 times)

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
Re: Here is another tip in removing patterns
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 07:22:58 pm »
I do this the easiest way possible.

First print the pattern on plain white paper, just the cheap stuff you swipe from work will do.

Take your spray glue and spray it very lightly, I mean very lightly, just one quick pass.

You should be able to feel its lightly tacky but not to where it is shiny and pooled up.  Thats too much.

Stick it to the wood.  If you use too much glue it will be tough to get off and require sanding or something like that.  Too little and it will fall off as you go but this is very rare for me.

Comes right off when you are done.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 10:57:27 pm »
Crupiea's correct.  FD Mike told me of this same process. If he does it I should be able to make it work. After mannnny tries, I found it takes very little adhesive and a great amount of dry time.  I once forgot my time and I had one of the easiest removals after a 40 min. dry time.  One thing Mike adds is the clear tape on top. It lubs the blade and aids in holding the paper together when removing. On one project, I wanted to paint the blank before cutting so my edges were clean with no paint when I finished.  I took a chance [I really hate designer fire wood] and applied the sprayed pattern directly on the water colored Aspen.  It came out fine with no lifting of the paint.

Retired Coastie

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 03:00:54 pm »
I've been using shelf paper on the wood and then spay adhesive on the surface of the shelf paper and the back of the pattern. Once the part is cut out the shelf paper just peals off with no adhesive residue remaining. I still wipe the piece down with denatured alcohol which also leaves no residue and doesn't raise the grain. This method works pretty good for me but I certainly don't have near the experience that you folks have.

Offline kenreich

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 08:21:52 pm »
Dakota Saw Dust,

What do you mean by "dry time"?  Is that time after you spray and before application, or spray, apply, then wait before cutting?

Thanks,
Ken

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 09:39:15 am »
Interesting idea on the microwave, but many of the projects won't fit in there..... :-\
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 10:46:12 pm »
Kenreich - "dry time" is that time between spraying on the adhesive and when you finally apply the pattern. I've found that if a attempt to touch & pickup a pattern with one finger tip and it sticks to my finger really good - I haven't allowed it to dry enough. Remember, the more adhesive and the wetter it is - the firmer it will hold to the wood.  Good luck  :)

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 02:15:41 am »
Hmmm have to try that for those pesky lil pieces of paper that dont come lose. i use my wifes hair dryer.

SMF

Teknoromi