Author Topic: Surprise wood find  (Read 6108 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Surprise wood find
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:22 pm »
Bill - We have an annual event here called ManWeek. The women leave the property and the men (including nephews, brothers-in-law, a few select friends) guzzle beer and have 3 days of competitions of great skill (battle ax, horse shoes, frisbee) and strength (caber toss, tire throw, sledge hammer throw). And outdoor manly movies (nothing dirty, but movies the women refuse to watch - "Predator", "Pulp Fiction", "Silence of the Lambs", "Tombstone", like that). This year one of the nephew's friends, Chico,  slaughtered a goat and cooked it for us in a big pot, including the organ meat. I made that skinner knife, sheath, and the cedar box as a gift for Chico for helping out with the event.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 05:20:07 am »
That's cool Ray, I hope you also have the manly art of telling the biggest story, it sure sounds like it. LOL
That was a very nice gift and very thoughtful. But that sure makes the goat very expensive.  ;D ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 08:46:37 am »
If you forget about paper dollars, then you need a basis to trade goods and services. In the book "Alas, Babylon" civilization is broken by a nuclear exchange between the US and the USSR. After the 1st winter, paper money was used for toilet paper and the only currency in play to buy things was the 22 caliber bullet (2 bullets to buy a rabbit).

Chico bought, slaughtered, butchered, cooked, and served 15 people an excellent meal that they'd never had before. I spent $15 plus about 4 hours finishing the knife, making the sheath, and making the box and enjoyed every minute of it. I think it was a great bargain. I hope he thinks so as well.

Please don't think I'm lecturing - just trying to explain my thought process. We might need more of this type of barter in the post-BHO economy. We always laughed at a friend who traded a shotgun barrel for dental work. We're not laughing now.

http://www.amazon.com/Alas-Babylon-Pat-Frank/dp/0060741872/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377261368&sr=8-1&keywords=alas+babylon
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 02:51:47 am »
About as close to barter as I'll be getting is giving the MG TD cutting to my neighbor as a Quote GIFT and I'm finagling him into getting some light tractor work done.
I don't know who will get the better deal but I suspect it will be him as I've already got about 6 hours in it and probably will need at least another 6 to finish it maybe more.

As for the costly goat I was being facetious and making a silly joke.  :)
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 09:25:12 am »
Is there a problem with the pattern? I wouldn't think that MG-TD should take anything like 12 hours to cut.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 04:36:31 am »
Is there a problem with the pattern? I wouldn't think that MG-TD should take anything like 12 hours to cut.

Nope I'm just slow and careful and remember I'm using FD UR-1 blades so a lot of those lines get cut twice to get the width needed (the times were just estimates and were probably on the long side). At that I think some could have been made wider, but I have finished the cutting on the TD and am working on the MGA now. Mostly have the wheels to do and a little finish up of the supporting area after they are done. Sure is a lot of little cuts and they take more time than big ones do because of the blade changes from hole to hole. Once the cutting is done I'll set up on the kitchen table to do the painting, his will be RED but I am thinking about trying to match the Ash Green on mine, :-\ but maybe I'll say to heck with it I always wanted a RED car! ;D ;D ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 09:18:17 am »
Cool. Please post a photo when they're done.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 03:24:00 am »
Cutting is all done now for the hard part.
G
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi