Author Topic: Wood Vibration  (Read 6505 times)

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Vibration
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 09:54:56 am »
Thanks for the pictures here. Took us a bit of time to figure them out too. Getting used to using them now. Makes it easier to do fret work...just need a lot of patience to get each hole I cut set up. Thanks again. I will print these for the manual.

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 11:47:14 pm »
Another reason for vibration could be warpped wood.  Double check to be sure your work piece is flat and not curved.  Good luck, you just keep at it and you will love this hobby.  We have all done all the crazy things that drive us nuts.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 07:11:40 am »
mrcurtis, the bouncing of the wood is called "chatter".  It happens when you are either using a reverse tooth blade or the blade is in upside down.  Don't be discouraged by reverse tooth blades.  They eliminate tearout and give you a nice edge on the bottom of your piece.  It reduces the need to sand.  I use them most of the time.  It takes some practice to move your wood and hold it down at the same time.  Depending on the size of your piece, your finger tips or the side of your pinkie will do the job.  Practice, practice, practice.  It will come in a very short amount of time.

As far as the quality of your saw, I have seen amazing things come off the most basic of saws.  It makes moving up to a better one that much sweeter when you can accomplish great things with the old one.  You will see a great improvement in your cutting when you get your FD blades.  It's not the cheap saw that is the culprit in most cases, it is cheap blades.

At any rate, with each project you will see an improvement and things get easier.  Enjoy and happy scrolling.

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 02:22:36 am »
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am starting to get a better hang of using my saw. Sometimes it still gives me too much chatter, but I guess that is where I need patience and to learn to slow down some. I am also experimenting with different blades. Finding some blades work better with some woods while others dont work as well. I need to keep in mind also that I am new at this hobby. I have only been working on it since Christmas and only a few hours each month.

SMF

Teknoromi