Author Topic: newbie patterns?  (Read 2757 times)

polsonmedic91

newbie patterns?
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:28:09 pm »
I am TOTALLY new to scrolling.  I have been making sawdust in my garage for about 2 weeks and have only tried a couple of patterns.  I am starting to get the hang of it, but sharp corners are my nemesis.  Following close lines is tough too but if I slow down I can do a reasonable job.

I am already tired of cutting out letters and numbers even though I am still not very good at them. LOL.

Does anyone have a few "beginners patterns" that I could practice on?  I am using mostly scrap plywood right now cuz it is cheap.  I have ordered some Luan plywood and finnish birch plywood in 1/8 and 1/4 inch in 12"x12" planks.

Someone must have something "cool" to practice on so I can quit making signs that say "Dads Shop", Abby's Room, etc.

Thanks a bunch.

Dragonlord85

Re: newbie patterns?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:38:23 pm »
I know where you are coming from. If you check out Steve's site at http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/ he has some very nice and easy patterns to choose from. I will also look through my files to see what I ahve and will send them your way.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:42:32 pm »
Check out the Mothers Day Heart in Brag Forum. It is fairly easy. If you like it I can e-mail you the pattern.  :)
Russ
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

polsonmedic91

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:47:40 pm »
I would love a mothers day pattern!  Thanks for the generous offer.

I also forgot to say this in my original post, but my computer is screwed up and for whatever reason I can't print pdf files.  That has also limited what I have been able to access thus far.

Thanks again,

Eric
polsonmedic91@gmail.com

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 04:06:17 pm »
Now that is a problem. Inkscape will not save it as a picture file only as .svg and .pdf . If I get the time I will have to print it, then scan it as a .jpg . You really need to get your computer fixed. The majority of patterns are saved as .pdf . I know all Steve's patterns are .pdf .
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

shadylady0447

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:40:35 pm »
Russ, you can use the export function in Inkscape and save it as a png file. You can export the entire page or just the graphic. Then it is easy to convert it to a gif or jpg.  Hope this helps you both.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:30:48 am »
Two books that I have did more for helping me than anything else other than these "forums"...

Scroll Saw Workbook by John Nelson

99 Silhouette Patterns for the Scroll Saw by Terence Calaway.

The workbook takes you very carefully Step by Step from the very basics.

The silhouettes got me used to cutting without getting too intricate and they can be adapted to many things.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

polsonmedic91

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 10:44:57 am »
Graybeard, I got your email and it worked!!!  I can now print .pdf files.  Woo hoo!

Thank you all for the help.  I will check those two books out.

Thanks for all the replies, Keep em coming.

Eric

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 03:48:25 pm »
Glad "Foxit Reader" worked for you.
I don't mean to turn this into a computer forum but if you want a good, fast, FREE reader for PDF files check...

<http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4763>

This is much less bloated and much safer than the Adobe version!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

JCoff

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 04:41:32 pm »
If you would like a simple Deer Clock pattern try this one.I had to resize it small to post it but you should be able to print it to the size you want.

Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 07:56:46 pm »
Charlie Dearing has been posting patterns on this site recently.  Try some of them, they look great.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Becky

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 12:33:10 am »
Geez, the guy is looking for newbie patterns!  These are really hard for just two weeks in.  My first successful project was some stacked elephants from Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts magazine.  I think it was the Holiday Special from 2009.  It was perfect for a newbie. My results weren't perfect but they sure gave me a feeling of accomplishment.   

After my batch of elephants, I moved to Steve's pattern for boxes.  It has a big ribbon on it (to help you find it in the catalog) but I skipped the ribbon.  I made a basic box for everyone in my family for Christmas and I just got my saw on Dec. 8.  It made me feel like I could do this saw thng.

I still consider myself a beginner but those boxes (prepare to do a lot of sanding because you will waver on that line!) made me feel like I could do this, learn and get better.

SMF

Teknoromi