Author Topic: Christmas pattern projects  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Christmas pattern projects
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:10:21 am »
I will be trying to sell my crafts come Nov.  My really very first one and my thots are on crafts that deal with Christmas.  Can I get some help?
Danny  :+}

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas pattern projects
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 02:17:28 pm »
All the obvious ones but include things 'out of the ordinary' as Gift Items. Inexpensive for those teacher, office pal, Secret Santa, etc. gifts.
Include some toys!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 05:58:08 pm »
Christmas ornaments sell well and you can stack cut them to reduce labor. I usually sold them in packs and individually. Baskets of all kinds sell okay. Clocks were always a tough sell for some reason. Nice boxes were okay sellers. Toys are okay but the new CPSIA(Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act) has a big scare in the toy making business right now. Until that gets worked out I'm not sure I would spend much time making toys or any product intended for children. It's a shame really.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 06:06:29 pm »
Thank you Graybeard and Steve.  Steve I probably have cut most all of your Christmas ornaments and your other Christmas patterns.  I thank you for your advice about childerns toys as I really, really was intending on starting to produce many (if I ran across plans).  Anyway I will STILL BE ASKING FOR PATTERNS FOR Christmas. 
Danny  :+}

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 12:10:17 am »
I've taken the stance that I will either have no finish or only finishes I can prove are non-toxic.  I'm still making toys for tots.  the heck with the govt....LOL
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 08:54:13 am »
Make sure you don't use any finish made in China. LOL  ::)  ::)  ::)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dawie

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »
I only use paints etc that state expicitly that they are none toxic and are ok to use on products intended for children. Have now started buying paints from Talens(big art product maker here), they have 64 colors to choose from all decor paints none toxic and states safe to use on toys etc.
Enjoy making your pieces and don't forget to post some pics.
David

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:23:26 am »
I use acrylics as well or just lemon oil. 
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 04:58:55 pm »
If you make a toy or what ever in a beautiful grain piece of timber/lumber why in the world wood you want to paint the thing.
The only pieces I paint is that made from MDF or if made with pine leave it unstained/oiled so the public can paint it them selves.

My policy "Thou Shall Not PAINT Wood"

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 06:33:59 pm »
I'm speaking of puzzles...Merlin.... ;D  Geometric designs and what not.  I don't even paint my animal puzzles I just dip em...
Mike

Dawie

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 02:31:48 am »
Hi Merlin I do agree with you on not painting wood. As Dunk I was meaning puzzles and these I make mostly of MDF.
David

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 03:35:14 am »
You gotta paint MDF for kids. I normally seal mine with danish oil for a bit more protection after painting
Jimbo

Offline Fab4

• Go For It
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 06:47:14 am »
Hi Dan:
What worked for me in the past:
1- put a heart on it
2- personalize it

Good luck with whatever you choose to make
Fab4
Paul (Fab4)

Dawie

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 02:09:34 am »
Just rememebered Dan,
Went across the border to Germany a couple of years back to one of their Christmas Fairs. Spoke to a couple of stand holders and they said that ornaments for to hang in the tree sell well as well as anything that can hold a tealight with a Christmas theme. That was before I got into scrolling, but was reminded by a friend when she asked if maybe I would like to come with her this year. Maybe the market here is different to where you are.
Good luck.
David

SMF

Teknoromi