Author Topic: Desperate need of help  (Read 2030 times)

Dragonlord85

Desperate need of help
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:03:18 pm »
My mom passed away this morning. She is going to be cremated and I would like to make a box for my Dad to keep her ashes in. I have searched the internet but have come up with nothing. If anyone has or knows where to get a plan for a box style urn please let me know.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
Re: Desperate need of help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 04:05:16 pm »
im sorry to hear of your loss and my prayers go out to you and your family. i dont have a pattern for what you are looking for, but wanted to express my condolances.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 04:28:41 pm »
My sincere condolences for your loss.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 04:40:40 pm »
I have never made one but, I know others have. I have been thinking of making an urn for myself.
I would start with going to the sorce, a funreal home, and looking at what they have to offer. I know that the interior volume is important. You need enough cubic inches for the ashes. Volume does change according to the physical size of the person and it is not nessaraly just all ashes. There can be some bone to account for.
It can be any shape (round or square) and must be designed so once closed can not be re-opened.
There are some laws governing what can and can not be done according to where you live.There are so meny different laws and rules and alot of hearsay about what you can do and not do.
I have "heard" you can't scatter ashes above ground, you must bury the urn or put it into a colemberrium, you can not keep the urn in a home etc. I think most of that hearsay is false but, I haven't checked any of it out with my local laws.
I'm sure that your local mortition can and be willing to help you out. But rember, he is in business and may feel threatened by some of your questions.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

sp_343

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 06:32:03 pm »
Kevin...I am so sorry for your loss.  I hope this link helps...it is the closest thing I could find for you in a short amount of time...it is designed for a pet...but you could modify the dimensions to fit your need.

http://www.woodworkingcorner.com/cremationbox.php

Also check this:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=896&filter=pet

Again...for a pet...but I don't think you will find any for human ashes.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 06:39:51 pm by sp_343 »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 07:25:41 pm »
Kevin, I can only say my heart goes out to you and your family. I have felt that pain. Wish I could say I had an idea or info for a pattern. If there is anything we can do for you (and I can say this with confidence) we are here for you and your family. We are only a post away.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dragonlord85

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:10:48 pm »
Thank you everyone for your thoughtfulness and for your prayers. I did find an urn to make and now just need to find a rose pattern that would be suitable for inlay material.

Becky

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 11:38:46 pm »
Kevin, I don't have a rose inlay pattern but I did want to express my sympathy for you loss.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 01:03:07 pm »
Add my condolences and prayers for your family.

My Father-in-laws's ashes were returned to the family in a simple oak box with a locking lid.

The family then took him to the farm where he was born and placed the remains under his favorite oak tree (with the current owner's permission). Drank a toast and enjoyed the Good Memories.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dawie

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 04:09:35 pm »
Kevin sorry to hear about your lose. I don't have the pattern you're looking for, but just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and praying for you.
david

Dragonlord85

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 11:48:02 pm »
I want to thank everyone on this forum for their kind words during this trying time for me. I did find everything I needed to make the urn for my Mom and completed it today. I have posted pics of the box in the brag forum and would appreciate your thoughts on this project. There were a lot of long hours and many tears that went into making this one project. Seeing how I am having trouble seeing the screen because it is all blurry I will get off for now. Hope to be back on again soon.

SMF

Teknoromi