Author Topic: 3D Ring Design Request  (Read 2784 times)

boxmaker

3D Ring Design Request
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:48:55 pm »
Hi, I have been trying to figure out how to design a double ring 3d project, I'll try to describe it, it is two rings one laying half on the other, kinda overlapping, like what you see in a lot of wedding cards. I want to cut it in a 3D pattern to put on top of a box. I have made several attempts, but no success. I hope someone in here can make 3D patterns, I just can't seem to make them come out in 3D. Thank You.

shadylady0447

Re: 3D Ring Design Request
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:26:02 pm »
Not sure this is what you want but here's one for you to consider.

[attachment deleted by admin]

boxmaker

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:04:52 am »
Thank You that is what it looks like , now I just have to cut it out in 3D. If I succeed I will post a box with one on it.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:20:00 am »
Awesome job as usual Sue, but I think he means like a multiple compound cut, so it looks like actual rings sitting on his box.  Good job and quick response though.

oops99

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:51:42 am »
Hey Boxmaker,

If you need a pattern idea, I had to make this pretty fast so it's not exactly to scale, but it might give you a better idea of how you might do it. It looks like it would work to me.
 If no one comes up with a pattern by tomorrow, I will be glad to do one for you, a little better than this (LOL).

Good luck in anycase, it sounds like a really nice idea.

Tom/oops99

[/img]

cloetpatrick

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 02:29:47 am »
Not sure this is what you want but here's one for you to consider.

;) Approximate map schema shadylady0447

We have here a side view and a top view.

Dotted lines are views that we do not see because they are behind the piece.

The inner sections of A & B are at right angles, while the inner sections of the second ring are in a corner to be determined by the thickness of the entire side view (red line). Cut so the side view.

Then cut along the top view, paying special attention to the angle of the cut of the top ring (C & D), remaining below that of the right angle (45 ?) (A & B).

Rounding then sanding, all outside the two rings.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:33:34 am by cloetpatrick »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 03:37:08 am »
Thanks from me too. Going to put them on my list of things to cut.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dawie

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 12:55:39 pm »
I like those Patrick,
Took a copy.
David

boxmaker

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 07:56:33 pm »
Thank you Charlie, that is what I was looking for a compound cut pattern. Thanks Patrick and oops for the pattern. I have been trying to figure out how to make a pattern like this for awhile. I would draw one cut one and it would fall apart. Thanks again. Now I'll have go try and cut one out. I also attached a ribbon I cut out from a pattern from John Nelsons Scroll saw Workbook. Someday I will find a box to put it on, I already have a box in mind for the rings. Thanks again.

SMF

Teknoromi