Author Topic: Question about blades  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Lost In the Woods

• Alabama's largest home producer of quality sawdust
    • View Profile
Question about blades
« on: April 03, 2019, 12:32:52 pm »
I have been using Pegas and have best results with #3 and #5 modified geomety blades.  I want to try some other brands but the other manufacturers use different names.  How do I sort this all out?  Btw, I ocasionally us BB plywood but mostly use hardwoods like sycamore, walnut, flame alder,  maple, hackberry, hickory, butternut  and sassafrass along with other local woods in thicknessess usually a half inch or thinner.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Question about blades
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 01:16:07 am »
I use Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse on 95% of the work that I do.  Mainly use 1 and 3.  Get mine from https://mikesworkshop.com/

Sometimes when doing Intarsia and I have a real hard wood I will use a polar (#5).

I have tried the Pegas MGT blades but found them more agressive.  Also, I am in Canada and it is cheaper to order from Mikes in the USA than Bear Woods that is in Canada.  Go figure.  I get hit with taxes and higher shipping costs.  Adds up to be about $2 a doz when I buy a gross.

I have come to the conclusion that blades are best are the blades you get confortable with. 

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 11:18:32 am »
I just wanted to add in and affirm Don's comments on vendors and blade selection.  While I shop at Bear Woods, real nice folks there, I buy my Ultra reverse blades from Mike's.   Regards >>> GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline stu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 12:18:59 pm »
I've used FD-UR #3 and #5 then went to Sawbird UR#3 and 5 because he's Canadian so no exchange but Canada post can't deliver to right address now Bearwoods for Pegas #3 and 5 modified geometry because I can go for a drive and pick them up. Have no complaints with any of these blades customer service excellent at all.
Stu Portmoody BC

SMF

Teknoromi