Author Topic: Sticky Wood  (Read 1040 times)

Offline bellman70

• View Profile
Sticky Wood
« on: January 03, 2019, 04:57:45 pm »
Here's a new one for me.  Tried to use a bit of reclaimed wood from an old bed frame that was being thrown out.  Nice and straight, 1 1/2 in thick, about 6 inches wide and over 6 feet long.  Planned on making a small box just cutting a square piece for the body then cutting the inside of it out leaving a quarter inch wall on all four sides.
After I cut it, I found that parts of the wood were still slightly sticky.  I know it is some sort of pine, but this is an old piece of wood.  Now, will it dry enough to work with?  Would a sealer help?  Is it just good for firewood?
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bellman70
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Sticky Wood
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:31:39 pm »
Greetings,
The only tip that I saw was on You Tube and had a video to show the actual results.
They used denatured alcohol to clean the wood. They then took it a step further and
glued saw dust into deep spots in the grain of the wood and sanded it down smooth.
I would then use a light coat of sanding sealer and you should be good to go.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline bellman70

• View Profile
Re: Sticky Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:19:49 pm »
Thanks for the response.  I do have some sanding sealer on hand.  I think I will sand everything down as best I can, then put a few coats of sealer on it and sand after the sealer dries.  I usually like to show the grain of the wood, but in this case, if the sealer works, it should look nice with a few coats of black lacquer.
Thanks again.
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

SMF

Teknoromi