Author Topic: Bamboo Bowl  (Read 3456 times)

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Bamboo Bowl
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:41:24 pm »
After seeing the cool bowls that DWSudekum has made, I decided that I wanted to make one. I really like seeing how something can go from a flat board to a bowl. I have made some baskets and it is fun to see people try to figure out how one flat board made a tall bowl.
This bowl was also an experiment in working with Bamboo. I was at TJ-Max looking for "cool" kitchen stuff for a friends birthday and ran across some bamboo cutting boards. They had a few sizes and thicknesses of boards, also ones that had different "grain" effects. Most of the boards were between $3-10. Several boards were 1/4" or 1/2" with a few that were 3/4" inch (the thicker ones were more expensive, but had cooler "grain" patterns). I found a few boards that had damaged handle on clearance and since I was planning on cutting the handle off it was a bonus. I got a piece if 1/2"x9x11 for $2, which is less then many hardwoods at the nearest lumber store. The bamboo cut really well on the scroll saw. It also sanded/shaped really nicely. I will totally be buying a few more bamboo cutting boards for future projects.
I learned a couple of things while cutting this bowl. First is that the excalibur people with the tilting head are on to something. I had not cut anything at such an angle on my saw, I was cutting at 38 degrees. On my last ring the light-bulb went on and I moved to the side of my saw. It was easier to cut when one hand wasn't so much higher above the other. I also didn't think all the way to the end of the project and wish I would have left the bottom one ring higher. It gets too narrow at the bottom.
Let me know what you think, and a big thank you to DWSudekum for his inspiration and help in this project.
Katie (MrsN)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Bamboo Bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:54:13 pm »
WOW!! I like that.  I want to try it but have to learn how to use straight blades first.  I domn't thiink spirals will work for this .  Nice job!
I'm from North Dakota

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:56:47 pm »
I think its very nice Katie you did a good job with it.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 02:02:09 pm »
Katie What a georgous bowl.  You really made a masterpiece there!  Wasn't that fun to make?  I love making a flat board into something else.

One of the things you can do if you decide that a bowls bottom is too small is to make a 2nd smaller bowl only one ring or there about tall, shape it and then turn it upside down and glue it to the bottom of the larger bowl.  This does change the over all shape a bit but it does make it more stable.  There is no rule saying that you have to use only one bowl in making your bowl.  The possibilities are rather endless on what you can do.  Another thought would be to make an X stand and have your bowl rest on that.

DW
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:27:10 pm by DWSudekum »
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:16:05 pm »
It looks really great! Bamboo is a good wood, I like it very much. Also one of the fast growing woods, that can be harvest better without so much damage on the environment.

regards
Torsten

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 03:22:24 pm »
Excellent Katie! What a nice looking bowl!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 04:14:46 pm »
Katie, the Wonder Girl!

Wonderful job on that difficult and gorgeous bowl!

I just finished an oriental fish pattern of Steve's using a piece of bamboo flooring material.
Loved cutting something that will 'replenish itself' so quickly!

Ya done good!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 09:13:29 pm »
Katie,

Your bowl is very beautiful indeed.

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

chief

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 10:36:37 pm »
Your bowl looks way better than any bowl I've made.  How much sanding did you have to do?  All of mine require quite a bit of sanding.  Love the bamboo.

Marshall

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 12:22:28 am »
Katie very nice job , maybe I'll get mine finished when everything else quits jumping in the way of it ........Keep it up , your making me want to jump back on finishing it ........

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 08:47:28 am »
Great job, Katie!  And you are definately right about the table staying stationary.  When I was looking to upgrade my saw, I was doing alot of spiral bowls and the fact that I didn't have to fight gravity was a big selling point to me.  I just have to remember to saw in the opposite direction of the instructions.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 09:00:46 am »
Awesome job Katie , it is beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dawie

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 01:04:28 pm »
Hi Katie, looks great. I never thought of using cutting boards or bamboo for that matter. Learned something new again.
David

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 03:07:33 pm »
you did an awesome job there.
is bamboo hard to saw?
with what can I compare it in terms of hardness/density?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 03:14:12 pm »
Marc...when I cut the fish it was from flooring material that I sanded down to about 5/8" and it saws very much like (to me) Boxwood. Used spiral blades and the dust was very fine. You must remember that the flooring material is much like plywood and three plies each about 1/4" thick.
Do not know how the single ply board would cut but dust would still be very fine. It will be however a 'glue up' and the glue does make a difference in sawing.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi