Author Topic: Monticello Intarsia  (Read 3421 times)

wdkits1

Monticello Intarsia
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:10:00 am »
Hi everyone
I know that many of you have seen my Intarsia rendition of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello that I did a year ago but for those of you who haven't seen it here is a little info-- 20"x24" cherry frame with bloodwood and holly inlays. Over 800 pieces from 17 different woods. No stains, paints or dyes. This pic was taken after the Shenandoah scrollsaw picnic.

Here are a couple of pics of some of the details.
Over 3000 bricks carved in with a 5/64" high speed cutter in the dremal

The flag is made from Holly, Pink Ivory and Blue Mahoe and measures 1 1/4" x1".

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
Re: Monticello Intarsia
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:33:18 pm »
the thing i like best, is how real the picture looks. awesome. thanks.

t.marie

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:48:00 pm »
Absolutely amazing!  I love your attention to detail with all the textures!

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 01:23:01 pm »
Everyone is taking the words right out of my mouth. Absolutely amazing, awesome, fantastic.  I see why you won those ribbons. Really nice work....  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

wdkits1

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:51:04 pm »
Thanks all for the comments
This project took 150 hours to complete not counting drawing the pattern freehand using a grid system. I also want to make a correction on the size of the frame which is actually 24" x 30".

northie66

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 06:46:28 pm »
Absolutely beautiful!  Can you recreate things from pictures?  Do you have a website?

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:59:34 pm »
Hey everyone make sure you visit Mike's website. If you are interested in intarsia kits he has some beautiful kits. The prices are very good. Thanks for sharing this Mike. We need to talk about doing a post on my blog about you kits. I know there are a lot of my readers that would love to see them. If you are interested PM me.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:52:28 pm »
Beautful work Mike.  Monticello is an amazing destination and if anyone gets a chance they should go.  Thank you for sharing.  I can't imagine the hours it must have taken.

Barry

northie66

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:24:53 pm »
I went to your website and saw the kits to make the boxes.  I wonder though what skill level is needed to do these kits?  Would someone with no intarsia experience have trouble?  I assume intarsia takes extensive sanding.  How long does it take you to complete one of these boxes?  Thanks!

cherie

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:40:09 am »
Very nice.  The wood choices are excellent  for the pictures you have done.  Thank you for sharing.

Marshall

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:50:09 am »
You sure have the touch ........

wdkits1

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 08:38:31 am »
Hi everyone
Thanks for the comments
To Janet
I can usually make an Intarsia pattern from a photo or an idea that a client has. My kits are designed to be an introduction to intarsia. All of the necessary woods, patterns and instructions are provided with each kit. I rate the skill level by how many pieces are used in each project. As an example, the Rose box has 26 pieces and would be considered a beginner kit. The more pieces, the more difficult the projects are. I have found that most folks who have good scrolling skills have no problem doing the kits although time and patience are necessary with intarsia. As far as sanding, I use a dremel tool with assorted sanding drums and carving bits plus a belt sander and hand sanding. The Rose box usually takes me about 6 hours to complete but that will depend on your individual skills. I did a tutorial on my blog that gives a step by step description on how I did the Buffalo Box if you are interested---
http://midlothianwoodworks.wordpress.com/buffalo-box-intarsia-a-work-in-progress/

Offline newtoscroll

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 08:16:21 am »
Incredible, what type of scroll saw do you use.

wdkits1

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 09:35:46 am »
Hi Newtoscroll
Thanks---I have an older model Craftsman 16" variable speed.

SMF

Teknoromi