Author Topic: Dewalt 788 Dust Collection  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Heli_av8tor

• View Profile
Dewalt 788 Dust Collection
« on: October 28, 2018, 02:56:20 pm »
As a new owner of the Dewalt 788 I was surprised to find that it had no provision for dust collection.

I've been searching the web for elegant solutions and come across the little flying saucer glued to the table bottom by BigFoot Products. It appears that they are no longer in business.

The design is pretty straight forward and should be easy to duplicate.

I'm looking for reports on how well it did or didn't work or any suggestions for better alternatives.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
Re: Dewalt 788 Dust Collection
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:01:58 pm »
There are many different places to find ideas for what you want. I watched a ton of youtube videos and read everything I could find. I finally made my own. Here are a couple of pics.
Dewalt 788 Type 1, Hegner Multimax 18E, Excalibur Ex-21

Offline Heli_av8tor

• View Profile
Re: Dewalt 788 Dust Collection
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 10:02:34 am »
Thanks for your response. I've done the same with searching high and low on the Net.
I saw pictures of your setup after I had mine mostly done.

I'll attach some photos below. It does limit table tilt to 35 degrees left side down and about 6 degrees the other. (Hits the blade tightening knob.) I'm not seeing this as a problem with anticipated projects. Will modify later if needed. It's attached with hot glue so will be easy to remove.

Dust collection is close to 100% from the bottom side. I'm happy with that.

With the bottom so good I decided that I need to address the top. I hadn't seen anything I liked for top-side until I found your system while roaming on the Web. Your use of the 3/4" Loc-Line strikes my fancy and I'll be adding an adaptation of your design for the top.

Do you use the air blower along with the vacuum or is the vacuum alone enough to draw dust from your pattern cut line?

I've been testing with a small 2.5 peak HP Shop Vac ($30 from Lowes). It's loud like most Shop Vacs. But I've found that I can run it at about 1/2 power and noise with a Fan Speed Control in line. I don't see any reduction in collection efficiency.

Tom

SMF

Teknoromi