Author Topic: Wood for Christmas Ornaments  (Read 6971 times)

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
Re: Wood for Christmas Ornaments
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 06:51:31 pm »
Believe it or not, my neighbor bought a sheet of 1/64" baltic plywood from a local source here us. Anderson International Trading has it. I couldn't believe it either until I saw it with my own eyes. I have no idea what her project was that required it to be so thin.
Dewalt 788 Type 1, Hegner Multimax 18E, Excalibur Ex-21

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 05:17:01 pm »
Just did an experiment with one Christmas ornament.

I stack cut four - three with 1/8" plywood, and one with 1/4" plywood, all Baltic Birch.  I then painted two, and put some Tried & True finish on a third.

Here are my observations:
1> 1/8" is much nicer than 1/4".  The 1/4" in this case is just too chunky
2> These are from a set of Christmas ornaments from Steve.  The default size is larger than we like.  We are going to reduce the size via photocopying the pattern and try again.  The one pattern I used produced an ornmanet that is 4 7/8" tall
3> The painted ones are not as nice as I had hoped.  The paint - one was a Christmas green, the other silver/chrome - just don't improve the ornments
4> The Tried & True finish did not do much of anything for the plywood.  I think I will try some spray shellac next
5> Cutting the round part, around the hole for a wire, is tricky.  That needs a lot of practice.

Does this match the results from others here?

My questions for others here:
- how do you finish your ornaments?  Do you paint?
- do you find the sizes of ornament patterns a bit on the large size?

Thanks in advance!
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 11:09:14 am »
I stack and cut many ornaments from a book I bought from 1/8 th bb plywood, left them plain unfinished. set them out at a trade fair as a give away. not one ornament was picked up yet people bought other items, go figure

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 02:08:06 pm »
Our scroll saw clubs cuts simple ornaments from 1/8 BBP, and we well them through the local Creative Woodworking CLub store for $1.00 each. Proceeds go back to the scroll saw club to pay our rent where we meet. The ornaments always seem to sell well. Perhaps it is because they are free that people think there is something wrong, or they are rejects.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 05:43:12 pm »
That is true, FREE doesn't sell well.
Try making a few fancier ones and have two or three prices for them. Like $1.00, $2.00 and $3.00 just to see if that makes a difference. People want to spend money especially if they are getting a good deal or, it is perceived as a good deal. You could add "$1.00 each or three for $4.00" just to see what happens. :)
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 11:38:21 pm »
{"You could add "$1.00 each or three for $4.00" just to see what happens. :)"}

LOL, Roger, I love it!!!!
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 12:02:12 pm »
Just did an experiment with one Christmas ornament.

I stack cut four - three with 1/8" plywood, and one with 1/4" plywood, all Baltic Birch.  I then painted two, and put some Tried & True finish on a third.

Here are my observations:
1> 1/8" is much nicer than 1/4".  The 1/4" in this case is just too chunky
2> These are from a set of Christmas ornaments from Steve.  The default size is larger than we like.  We are going to reduce the size via photocopying the pattern and try again.  The one pattern I used produced an ornmanet that is 4 7/8" tall
3> The painted ones are not as nice as I had hoped.  The paint - one was a Christmas green, the other silver/chrome - just don't improve the ornments
4> The Tried & True finish did not do much of anything for the plywood.  I think I will try some spray shellac next
5> Cutting the round part, around the hole for a wire, is tricky.  That needs a lot of practice.

Does this match the results from others here?

My questions for others here:
- how do you finish your ornaments?  Do you paint?
- do you find the sizes of ornament patterns a bit on the large size?

Thanks in advance!

I've finished ornaments several different ways.  It depends on the wood I'm using and the pattern.  I've used paint, stain, dye, Danish Oil & Shellac.  Shellac is my favorite finish for many scrolled projects.  Baltic birch is pretty plain, so leaving it natural or just with a clear finish doesn't really enhance it's visual appeal much.  However, depending on the style of the ornament, that may be OK.  Sometimes I supplement with paint or dye.  Stain doesn't do well on BBP, as it tends to be blotchy.

I've never cut any of Steve's ornament patterns.  I have patterns for hundreds of ornaments of all shapes, styles and sizes.  Generally speaking, I don't really care for very large ornaments, but it depends on the style and the pattern. 
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 09:22:42 pm »
Once again, something new is learned here!  Much appreciated.

I have found a few sources for 1/16" baltic birch in Canada.  Some are very expensive, and others are just expensive.

Michaels Canada does not list it on their website.

Suppliers like Exotic Woods Oakville and Peacock do not list anything under 1/8".

Hi rfielder
Where is Peacock Woods. Is it in Oakville as well ?
Phillmore Enterprises in London ONT may have some wood your looking for ,if your down that way sometime.

Offline MarkAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 11:36:37 am »
I've made a lot of ornaments over the past 20+ years and I think aesthetically speaking.

Which or what type of Christmas ornaments do you find sell the best? Christmas tree ornaments or do you sell the bigger projects?

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2018, 07:22:09 pm »
Once again, something new is learned here!  Much appreciated.

I have found a few sources for 1/16" baltic birch in Canada.  Some are very expensive, and others are just expensive.

Michaels Canada does not list it on their website.

Suppliers like Exotic Woods Oakville and Peacock do not list anything under 1/8".
Where is peacock woods? is it in Oakville as well?

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2018, 11:56:57 am »
Try something fun, use CD's for small ornaments. They are pretty

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 02:19:01 pm »
Where is peacock woods? is it in Oakville as well?
Peacock Lumber

http://www.peacocklumber.ca/

328 Ritson Road North
Oshawa, Ontario L1G 5P8
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 06:46:52 pm »
I've made a lot of ornaments over the past 20+ years and I think aesthetically speaking.

Which or what type of Christmas ornaments do you find sell the best? Christmas tree ornaments or do you sell the bigger projects?

I don't sell anything.  I make ornaments to give away to family and friends, etc.  Last year I made about 100.  I make ornaments that appeal to me and that offer a challenge.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

SMF

Teknoromi