Author Topic: Question about Danish Oil  (Read 1255 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
Question about Danish Oil
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:43:29 pm »
I am going to try some Danish Oil finish on my projects. I have some made out of 1/4" BB. Can I dip that in the oil or will it cause the plys to separate? Should I just wipe it with rag and try to get it in all the tiny holes and cuts as best as I can?
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Danish Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:02:33 pm »
Just wipe it on with a rag, let it sit for a few minutes (15 minutes) and wipe it off. Let it dry over night before adding a top coat (if you intend to add a top coat).
It is not going to "soak in" as the top layer of plywood is very thin so any more coats is a waste of time and oil.
Dipping it is a waste of time and oil also. Don't worry about all the "little tiny holes" unless you want to take a cotton swab and spend a few minutes wiping the inside of holes in plywood. No one will ever notice or care if there are some "bare places" except you.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
Re: Question about Danish Oil
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:06:13 pm »
Just wipe it on with a rag, let it sit for a few minutes (15 minutes) and wipe it off. Let it dry over night before adding a top coat (if you intend to add a top coat).
It is not going to "soak in" as the top layer of plywood is very thin so any more coats is a waste of time and oil.
Dipping it is a waste of time and oil also. Don't worry about all the "little tiny holes" unless you want to take a cotton swab and spend a few minutes wiping the inside of holes in plywood. No one will ever notice or care if there are some "bare places" except you.

Rog

Thanks Roger I am going to give it a try
Let's make some saw dust!

SMF

Teknoromi