Author Topic: First spiral blade attempt  (Read 2513 times)

Offline DBrown

• View Profile
First spiral blade attempt
« on: June 08, 2020, 10:46:38 pm »
This is an H. Botas pattern. I cut it using 2/0 spiral blades except for most of the left leg, which was done with #1 FD UR. I'm trying to get into more portrait style cuttings but still getting used to spirals. I'm not liking the fuzzies. Why don't they make reverse tooth spiral blades?

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: First spiral blade attempt
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 11:00:04 am »
I have never used anything but spiral blades and they are great. The solution to the fuzzies is a mop sander. gently hold the piece to the mop sander and all fuzzies are gone and the piece is smooth and ready for staining. I get mine from RJR studio. I have it set up on  a 1/4 horse motor.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline justlarry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 04:48:38 pm »
Flying Dutchman makes a Spiral Reverse.  (SPREV) I have not used them.  I almost always use a scrap piece under the ply I am cutting when using spirals.  Here is some information on spirals I posted in Feb 2017:

Posted February 9, 2017 (edited)

If My memory is correct and if I understand what I just looked up:

Spiral Blades came first and are pretty much a flat blade that has been twisted into a spiral.  Pretty much needed to use pliers to un-twist the end to get it to stay in the holders.  hard to control - hard to get into holder but the best there was at the time.

The Flat End Spiral was brought out (The flat end spiral - as stated above is not really flat.  It is close to half spiral and half flat making it easier to get ready to place in the holders.)

To bring about better control, The New Spiral Blade was developed several years ago and has teeth on both sides of the blade - a flat blade with teeth on both sides and twisted into a spiral.   better control. Still has some twist on the ends. Sometimes I flatten the ends some and sometimes I put them in right out of the package.

Spiral Reverse is latest design of the spiral. - spiral blades for all around cutting with reverse teeth on the bottom for a close to sand free finish.

Offline DBrown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 08:51:46 pm »
Thanks, I've been using FD blades for years and just tried switching to pegas. I bought a bunch of 2/0 pegas spiral blades and didn't see anything like this where I was shopping. I've been fighting with them. Lot's of hockey sticks where my straight blades don't do that. Next time I get blades I'll try these reverse tooth. At the rate I'm destroying them, it won't be long. 

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 10:00:40 pm »
Excellent job of cuting.
Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 12:12:07 am »
Very Nice job. I wouldn't want to show you my first attempt.  Dave

SMF