Author Topic: Tung oil and glue  (Read 2100 times)

Offline MrA

• View Profile
Tung oil and glue
« on: March 04, 2016, 02:12:08 pm »
I have cut a 10 inch clock face from red oak and the numbers from walnut as well as a wolf scene from a Sheila Landry pattern. would like to bring out the oak and walnut grain. If I coat them with tung oil can I glue the scene on the tung oil? Any opinion appreciated.
Thanks Tom
One mistake leads to expensive firewood and I have had a couple of good fires since I started.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Tung oil and glue
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 11:39:22 pm »
It is better to glue then use the Tung Oil

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:11:14 am »
I would glue 1st.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 10:50:12 am »
NO.
Glue doesn't like oil of any kind. In fact some of the oiler woods need to be wiped down with naphtha or mineral spirits before any glue up or they will separate shortly.
Always try to do any glue up before finishing with anything. If you are careful not to get finish at critical areas where you want glue, it can be done however. You can use blue tape to cover the glue areas and then put finish on it before gluing.
I know that several people say that  certain glues will stick to a painted or varnished surface but, I wouldn't recommend doing that myself.

Rog   
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline MrA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 10:44:26 pm »
Thanks for the replies, those were my thoughts but thought I would ask and see others options.
One mistake leads to expensive firewood and I have had a couple of good fires since I started.

SMF

Teknoromi