Author Topic: Murphy's Law  (Read 2274 times)

Offline MrA

• View Profile
Murphy's Law
« on: February 10, 2016, 09:30:29 pm »
Anytime sometime can go wrong it will, first craft show of the year coming up on Saturday, three more projects to finish and the threads on the blade clamp on my EX21 give up tonight. I have been so busy I haven't posted for a very long time even though I do check it every once in a while. So now I get time to read all the posts since I last checked here, and I get to play with the new laptop I bought last July and have only turned on once since I got it, while I wait for the parts. So I guess for every negative action there is a positive reaction. Now if the craft sale will pay for the parts and my tables I will be satisfied just so long as I don't get asked for any rush orders. Hope everyone had a great holiday in December and your new year is progressing as you hoped.
Tom
One mistake leads to expensive firewood and I have had a couple of good fires since I started.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Murphy's Law
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 02:56:37 am »
Bummer but, I am glad you saw the silver lining with the extra time.
I hope you get the parts soon and have a great craft show.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 09:52:10 am »
It could be worse!  Our last name is Murphy, so we always say Murphy's law applies double.  I said that to someone lately who responded that the O'Shaunessy's said "You Murphys are a bunch of optimists!"
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 04:03:42 pm »
G'Day Tom, It is a bummer when your machine breaks down when you are in a hurry to finish something. One of my other hobbies is turning pens. I bought a new lathe in June 2015 to help pursue this hobby. Since then I am on my fourth motor and fourth switch, all of them broke down in separate incidents. Yesterday the thing blew up on me again. I came inside made a coffee to cool down, and made a coffee to cool down, and made a coffee to cool down.....6 hours later and many cups of coffee, I was still angry that a new machine could break down so many times.
Taking it back would be an easy solution, but the company is over 2000 kilometres away. I have dealt with them over a number of years with great success. It turns out that they received a bad batch of motors (and obviously switches) from China. It has cost them a fortune to ship the new parts to me and by now, the parts cost more than the lathe, so they have lost big time on this one.

Incidentally, the lathe broke down half way through an order for 10 pens. Aaargh!! >:(

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:28:59 pm »
A little known fact - Murphy's Law was not really named after Murphy but after another man with the same name.
Turning itty-bitty lines into sawdust. There is a fine line between aweSOME and aweFUL (this is especially true when using a scrollsaw).

Offline MrA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:18:50 pm »
Well the craft show paid for my tables and the gas to get there but not much else, in reality that was pretty good considering the temperature was minus 28 in the morning and by the time the show was done it rose all the way to minus 26 but with the wind chill it never went above minus 36.
I can't complain I have had the EX21 for almost 18 months and using it consistently 3 or 4 hours every day I have only replaced thumb screw that holds the blades until now. Should have the parts by Wednesday or Thursday I hope.
In the mean time I used some of my scrap hardwood( walnut and Oak) and glued up a few cutting boards, something I never tried before looks like they will turn out pretty good.
hope the motor for your lathe is a working one this time, Dave.
Tom
One mistake leads to expensive firewood and I have had a couple of good fires since I started.

SMF

Teknoromi