Author Topic: Dust extraction with the new Excalibur model  (Read 4685 times)

Offline tonyuk

• View Profile
Dust extraction with the new Excalibur model
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:18:39 pm »
A few months ago I purchased an Excalibur scrollsaw.  It is a newer model in that it has extra holes in the work table round the main hole for the saw blade.  These are to facilitate dust extraction.  However, though this works satisfactorily inevitably small pieces of wood pass through the main hole and some collect between the plastic underneath the work table and the table itself at the point where it is connected to the extraction duct.  Eventually the airflow is severely restricted and the bits have to be removed.

As far as I can tell the plastic is stuck into place so removing the wood bits is messy to say the least using a combination of placing the dust extractor above the work table and thin wire to coax the bits out.

Does anybody have any idea how this can be improved?

Many thanks for any help.

Tony

ripchief

Re: Dust extraction with the new Excalibur model
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:11:38 pm »
I ended up removing the plastic shroud on my Excalibur, allowing chips to fall through the table and out of the way...Then, I simply do the same thing that I've always done; vacuum everything after use...I'm not much of a fan of dust collection except when using my orbital sander...MOST other activities crate sawdust/chips that aren't near as much of an issue as compared to the dust that is created while sanding (and that sanding dust gets EVERYWHERE)...When looking at dust collection for scrollsaws, I see more disadvantages than advantages (my opinion/experience):
1. The design of the dust collection system inhibits the ability to perform "normal" functions of the tool (i.e. the shroud doesn't let the chips fall through, or as already mentioned, they get stuck in there).
2. Continually running a shop vac while cutting adds a lot of unwanted noise.  The Excalibur is a relatively quite saw compared to my previous saw, and now that I've lowered the noise level to a real comfortable level, I don't want to turn around and raise it by adding a shop vac.
3. The blower (located above the work piece) is blowing dust away to provide a clear view of the blade/pattern, while on the the other hand, the dust collector (located below the work piece) is limited to what falls below. The point is that you'll need to vacuum afterwards anyway, regardless of how effective the dust collector is at capturing stuff below, because the dust collector (as designed) can't capture the dust created by the blower. On my Excalibur I have TWO blowers; the integrated one that came with the saw, and another one that I mounted on the side of the upper arm and connected to an aquarium pump. The integrated one blows from the side across the work piece, and the one that I installed blows back away from my face. As a result, I don't have any issues with dust around my face.

Back to the original question as to how it can be improved, here's my input...In order to allow the chips to naturally fall through the table, and not inhibit any normal function of the machine, the dust collection port should be located BELOW the travel path of the lower blade clamp (picture a wide shop vac attachment held upside down under the  front of the machine).  Use the same inverted vacuum attachment concept to catch the dust created by the blower by mounting a narrow channel/gutter all  the way around the circumference of the edge of the table (some would say to simply replace the blower with a vacuum attachment, but I don't think it would be as effective at clearing the blade/pattern path as a blower; not to mention that it is easier to blow from above, and vacuum from below). This gutter doesn't need to be any wider than say one quarter inch, if that; it's only there to collect dust from the blower, not chips...Just some food for thought.

Offline tonyuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:55:27 am »
I ended up removing the plastic shroud on my Excalibur, allowing chips to fall through the table and out of the way...Then, I simply do the same thing that I've always done; vacuum everything after use...I'm not much of a fan of dust collection except when using my orbital sander...MOST other activities crate sawdust/chips that aren't near as much of an issue as compared to the dust that is created while sanding (and that sanding dust gets EVERYWHERE)...When looking at dust collection for scrollsaws, I see more disadvantages than advantages (my opinion/experience):
1. The design of the dust collection system inhibits the ability to perform "normal" functions of the tool (i.e. the shroud doesn't let the chips fall through, or as already mentioned, they get stuck in there).
2. Continually running a shop vac while cutting adds a lot of unwanted noise.  The Excalibur is a relatively quite saw compared to my previous saw, and now that I've lowered the noise level to a real comfortable level, I don't want to turn around and raise it by adding a shop vac.
3. The blower (located above the work piece) is blowing dust away to provide a clear view of the blade/pattern, while on the the other hand, the dust collector (located below the work piece) is limited to what falls below. The point is that you'll need to vacuum afterwards anyway, regardless of how effective the dust collector is at capturing stuff below, because the dust collector (as designed) can't capture the dust created by the blower. On my Excalibur I have TWO blowers; the integrated one that came with the saw, and another one that I mounted on the side of the upper arm and connected to an aquarium pump. The integrated one blows from the side across the work piece, and the one that I installed blows back away from my face. As a result, I don't have any issues with dust around my face.

Back to the original question as to how it can be improved, here's my input...In order to allow the chips to naturally fall through the table, and not inhibit any normal function of the machine, the dust collection port should be located BELOW the travel path of the lower blade clamp (picture a wide shop vac attachment held upside down under the  front of the machine).  Use the same inverted vacuum attachment concept to catch the dust created by the blower by mounting a narrow channel/gutter all  the way around the circumference of the edge of the table (some would say to simply replace the blower with a vacuum attachment, but I don't think it would be as effective at clearing the blade/pattern path as a blower; not to mention that it is easier to blow from above, and vacuum from below). This gutter doesn't need to be any wider than say one quarter inch, if that; it's only there to collect dust from the blower, not chips...Just some food for thought.

Thanks for that.  I totally agree with you.  The problem I have is that I've had throat cancer three times which, after radio therapy has left my throat particularly sensitive hence my need to remove as much dust as possible.  I'm 71 and don't scroll every day.  I'm a relatively light user.  Woodturning is also a passion of mine and I use a full head mask when sanding however it is too cumbersome to use when scrolling.

Your post has given me food for thought so many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Tony Smith

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 05:29:37 pm »
I just received my EX-21 and noticed the same problem you gentlemen are having. My solution was to remove the plastic hose hook-up port, and used a very sharp Exacto knife to cut the clear plastic to the same size as the hole in the table. This allows everything to fall right through to the floor. Then all the maid has to do is sweep it up. If the maid is off, I just use my shop vac. Now, why did they use such a soft coating for the table? My first project was using a piece of maple and as soon as I moved it on the table, a large scratch was gouged into the covering. With all the great features, why did they drop the ball on the table coating??????
Cut once...period

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 07:40:18 pm »
There have been alot of complaints about that thin plastic piece, like alot of others I removed mine as well, its just held on with double sided tape. You could make something to the shape to stick to the saw the stick the plastic peice back on. Kinda like a shroud but keep the clear plastic on the bottom so you can see inside if any bits are in there. Would think about a 2 inch drop would be enough to reach in and get the bits out, but I would cycle the blade in the upper most part of the stroke and measure to make sure its not going to hit anything, maybe a inch or 1.5 inches would work.

I have also seen others remove that plastic and affix a nozzle from a shop vac on the under side of the table to pull the dust in, some also put them on the upper arm to suck up the dust on top.

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 06:47:55 am »
Not having an Ex-21 but seeing one in my immediate future, is there any one who could post a picture of what y'all are talking about to give me some idea?

And that brings up a question I have been mulling over, other than the difference in throat depth, isn't the ex-16 and ex-21 identical machines? Why does everyone seem to get the ex-21?

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 08:42:52 am »
Max rpm on 16 is slower and throat depth I think is only difference I have a 16 but have not cut on a 24

Offline MrA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 07:28:06 pm »
When I got my EX21 I removed the plastic piece after a very small piece of a cutoff dropped in one of the holes and piece hung up and when I gave a little stronger push the part I was working slipped and I made firewood.
I use a wide mouth part of an exhaust system under the saw hooked to a shop vac, and to combat the noise I wear a set of earphones with a built in radio, I listen to games or music from different radio stations while I work. The shop vac doesn't get everything that falls through but cuts down on cleanup. I also have  box fan with a furnace filter on the suction side to collect the fine dust, I clean the filter weekly and twice a year I replace the filter, I have very little dust in the shop.
Tom
One mistake leads to expensive firewood and I have had a couple of good fires since I started.

SMF

Teknoromi