Author Topic: Hello from Wisconsin  (Read 1178 times)

Offline GrampaJim

• View Profile
Hello from Wisconsin
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:30:13 pm »
Hello,  I am a new scroller, been at it about 6 months.  Bought a Craftsman in April based on Steve's video and learned a lot.  It died while under warranty, but Sears fixed it without too much of a delay.  Then I bought a Dewalt type 1 off of Craigslist and was impressed with it.  I still use the Craftsman as a kind of rip saw ? put a thick wood blade in it and cut things down to size for scrolling.  Anyways, I have a lot to learn yet, but thought some observations of what I have learned, (for those just starting out) might be helpful. 
Practice, practice, practice.  Use thick wood or stack cut a couple of layer of 1/4? ply to learn on.  It was really frustrating trying to learn by cutting a single piece of 1/4?. 
Speaking of wood, watch out for the ?birch? plywood at the big box stores.  Some of it only has 3 plys with a really thin top layer.  It can be sanded right off ? don't ask how I know.  The real Baltic Birch is much better.  You can buy it on line.
Relax!  This is supposed to be fun.  If you tense up (and you are up in years) you will have all kinds of neck and shoulder problems.  Only my Chiropractor was happy about that!

Rover2

Re: Hello from Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:44:37 pm »
Welcome. I'm Al from Tennessee.  Glad you found us.

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:54:09 pm »
Grampajim, great to have you join us.  Good advice you give to someone starting out.  Look forward to seeing some of you work.

tdpainter

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:32:24 pm »
Welcome I'm Travis ala TDPainter

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:13:48 am »
Well, Grandpa Jim, it looks like you've got the basics ironed out.  Hello and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad you're here.

Offline gordster

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 06:14:07 am »
Welcome Jim I'm Gordie from Nova Scotia Canada....
Gordie

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 07:10:16 am »
Welcome Jim I'm Pierre from Qu?bec Canada....

Pierre

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 07:25:40 am »
Glad you found us Grandpa Jim. Hi I'm Russ from Florida your local moderator. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi