Author Topic: Just an Old Trapper From Oregon  (Read 523 times)

Offline Trapper John

• View Profile
Just an Old Trapper From Oregon
« on: February 08, 2021, 12:13:19 pm »
I am and old, but inexperienced woodworker making lots of shop furniture, jigs, and random piles of sawdust.  My latest venture is into the wide world of marquetry.  I have a Dewalt DW-788 and am comfortable in using it with a variety of blade sizes.  I look forward to learning from the membership and promise to perform due diligence before asking otherwise stupid questions.

I've read several good books on marquetry and watched many few and videos on the subject.  I am interested in improving my cutting techniques and presently experimenting with both scroll saw and traditional window cutting.  I am having a lot of trouble with my cutting skills; I'm not sure if I am working too fast or if my veneer (~ 1/42" ) is too thin as I am having trouble with splitting and tear-out.  In any case I hope to learn from the many experienced folks on this site.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Just an Old Trapper From Oregon
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 03:23:06 pm »
I am from Nipawin Saskatchewan and welcome you. I found thin, anything under 1/4 inch wood to be a challenge and often stack cut, or use a sacrifice board. Also slow speed works better for me, the slogan " first you get good than get fast."

SMF

Teknoromi