Author Topic: Serious Scrolling my passion, but I don't talk online much. Like to read  (Read 1322 times)

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
Although I read a lot more than I talk, I have been scrolling for a long time. Also I don't really like to brag much because I consider it a not so good thing. But when it comes to scrolling, we all need a little "that a  boy" sometimes. 
All that said I bought a brand new Excalibur EX-16. about 8 months ago.  It replaced my dewalt 788 which had some problems. 
    All that said, I used the Excalibur to scroll the "dutch box' , the pattern of which can be found on several sites online.
That box was a definitely a difficult piece. More time consuming than anything.
    I got about two thirds the way done with it and the unthinkable happened.
    The Excalibur developed a crack in the Lower arm support.  Now the saw has a definite thump or bang in it regardless of speed.  Nothing helps it. Not the motor adjustments, nor alignments.  I use quality blades as well.
I bought it new, online from what I thought was a reputable dealer who now will not help me.
    All that said I now have an expensive saw in storage.  I tried every site online. Even Ray.  Not a single email I sent was answered but Ray who did not respond to my problem, but only suggested other saws. (Don't blame him at all for that)  So all that said, before I joined here I watched for quite a while what people said.  Unfortunately nothing I found anywhere would help me get the part I needed.   
    I finished that box on my Delta.  Nice saw similar to the dewalt 788 I had.  But it is not in the ballpark with the high end ones. 
   I will be buying a new replacement for the Excalibur, and baring no way to repair it will have to part it out,
 and this time I will be considering the companies support as a buying factor.
All this said, As a new member I do have some questions and look forward to replies.
Is there any way to get parts for my Excalibur?  So far I have had no luck.
What recommendations do other users have?
I am considering the Jet 22 inch.  Has anyone had one and any problems with their new blade attachments?
and finally here to show that I am indeed a somewhat advanced user. A pic or two of my dutch box as a first place winner at the Illinois state fair  this year
     I have never joined any forum like this before, and look forward to anyone who may be able to help me with my questions. 

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Serious Scrolling my passion, but I don't talk online much. Like to read
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 08:42:31 am »
HI Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your EX-16.  The brand name has been passed around a lot.  Have you tried King Canada.  They are the distributor of the Excelsior line which I understand is the same as the EX-16.

The parts maybe the same or they might be able to direct you to a service centre.

https://www.kingcanada.com/en/

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:30:10 am »
Hi and welcome to this forum, Your cutting definetly deserves an "at a boy". Scrolling comes with much satisfaction and often times frustration I have an old DW788 that after a good lube job and new blade clamps does a really good job however on occaission the motor will surge especially on start-up ( probably a pending circuit board issue), so I purchased a Seyco which is now my go to saw. I had another brand with a fixed arm that gave no end to frustration. Sounds like your saw repairs will be more costly than and Frustrating than buying a different saw. Don has just replied to you about King Canada, they sell the excellsor, the dealer here in my province tells me in U.S it is sold as a Jet.
Wish you only Good days and better Days
Norm fengstad, Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 03:30:08 pm »
Thank you for the reply and all for the kind words.  As a help I will tell all what I have found.
First, I did contact King Canada.  Their response was both good and bad news. First their Saws are close to identical in construction and parts as the Excalibur. Nearly all parts interchangeable.
   but...  They do not supply parts to the US.  But they did give me two suppliers contacts here in the US.
      I contacted both, the first does  not supply or order parts. UGGH!
     The second contact is pending.  It does sound as if they may help me get what I need.   If they do so I will provide the name of that supplier for new parts from King Canada through them.  I don't want to list them here yet because they actually called me on the phone but   only are looking into ordering the part for me. supposed to call back but has not.  the part that cracked on my saw is the  EX21-C31C ROCKER MOUNT  [lower rocker mount] [not the actual arm but the part the bearings go in to hold the lower arm in place. I will try to downsize an image to post here of the crack.
    Cost appears to be around 15 dollars for that rocker mount  But the shipping may be two times that.  Still it is a 600 dollar saw so the cost is worth it if I can get it.
      If indeed this ends up being a supplier from King Canada for Excalibur I will be sure this forum is made aware as this is a pretty serious thing.  For a new saw to fail and not have a way to repair it.  I have contacted multiple companies. King Canada is the only hope now. If anyone else here knows of a supplier of parts from KC  please let me know.
       I am going to buy another new saw. I have arthritis in my hands and am closely looking at the Jet.  I know I know....cost. But that blade attach would be a big asset for me and my hands.  Also looking at Hegner and Seyco.
Seyco has a nice blade attachment, and even aftermarket attachments so they are in the running.
       Once again thanks for the replies and I will be sure to put the outcome of my dilemma here.  If I get these parts from this supplier I will post their contacts on this forum both here and in the main forum when able. It may be a help in the future for some other scrollers.  Will be sure to put that info in in a way that the search string will bring it up for others.
Once again thank you for the kind words.  The Excalibur did the top and some of the sides then failed me. I finished it on my Delta.  Posting an image of that crack here. You may need to zoom in as the images here are somewhat downsized.
   But I did not join here due to my problem alone, When I sit at my saw it becomes part of me.  All of you here...well you get it, and I just wanted to see what others were thinking, and some of their work.

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 04:23:09 pm »
For all:  Parts for Excalibur.  Not just main parts, but all parts.
After my new saw failed and a lower arm support cracked. After hours of
messaging and contacts I found someone who can give me info and get parts direct
from King Canada. The company that bought out and sells the King...aka Excalibur
Parts all interchangeable.
I asked and was given permission from http://www.keimlumber.com/
to let others know they can and will help get parts for Excalibur/King.
I just ordered some arm parts.  The person of reference for parts is
Roy  at that site. 
   If you have Excalibur and cannot get parts Keim can get them, and
King Canada sent me an email telling me their parts are interchangeable.
This is not information I felt I should keep to myself. 

SMF

Teknoromi