Author Topic: Looking into buying a router table?  (Read 2180 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
Re: Looking into buying a router table?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:03:06 pm »
That does look like a decent set-up.  One thing I don't like about it, though, is the way the legs on the stand are splayed at compound angles, it would be difficult (but not impossible) to close it in to create storage space for bits, jigs, accessories, etc..  Otherwise looks like a lot of features for the money. 
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:37:11 pm »
Oh come now, Bill! That is what 'creative' woodworking is all about!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:57:40 pm »
Looks like a nice set up GB, However if you want to be more creative, just buy a top and fence and build a stand with drawers and storage compartments. That's what I did. I have had my set up for about fifteen years and is holding up nicely. It is made from 2x4's and 1/2" plywood. I would post a picture but it seems we can't right now.
Since I built it, I rarely take the router out even though I have two separate bases for it.
Either way you go, you will love a router table!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:44:39 pm »
I have a basic table and have been using it...this was a suggestion for others...Try to help the newbies when I can!

I am building a cabinet for the new Table Saw and it will serve as a base for the router table as well. New saw folds up and fits nicely under my workbench when not in use and the base will also hold the router table.

I have just begun playing around with the routers I have and finding all manner of neat stuff i can do!
Before this routers intimidated me but not any more!!!
Just like Table Saws...Use your head and think about what you are about to do!

~~~GB~~~

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:39:03 pm »
GB, is it a sign of old age when we find ourselves getting excited over new power tools? I too enjoy playing with my router and discovering all the neat ways I can improve my projects with a simple router bit. You should see how I react when I get out my wood burning kit. I think I had better stop before I start showing my age :-)

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 10:20:27 pm »
GB, is it a sign of old age when we find ourselves getting excited over new power tools? I too enjoy playing with my router and discovering all the neat ways I can improve my projects with a simple router bit. You should see how I react when I get out my wood burning kit. I think I had better stop before I start showing my age :-)

Louis

That is not a sign of age!!! That is what wood working is all about!  ;D
It doesn't matter if you are a scroller or a furniture maker or a home builder, it is all about using your tools (even hand tools) to discover newer, faster, easier, or more beautiful ways of doing things with wood. The only thing stopping most people of discovering new things rests between their ears. Age has nothing to do with it!
That is not a rant, that is what keeps me intrested in my hobby. ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline brendeg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 11:08:29 pm »
If you go onto youtube, there are 100's of videos of router tables that people have made just simply out of some wood stock they've had around the shop.  I'll be building one in the next few weeks and saving close to 100 bucks from a pre-made one.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 11:41:09 pm »
I have had routers forever, and multiple bases, but about a year ago I bought a router lift from Jessem and dedicated a router to it.  I mounted it in an extension wing on my unisaw, and now I use the thing on just about every project I work on.  Often multiple times on one project.  I just can't believe how versatile a router is when you fit it in a good table, and even more so when you have a lift for accuracy and ease of use.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 08:04:12 am »
Looks like a nice set up but it's so much more satisfying to build your own and that way you can have it exactly the way you want.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 08:28:20 am »
First one needs to know what they want/need - so I went with a purchased one first - still have a lot to learn.

I do some of that learning by reading here.   Thanks folks.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 10:41:48 am »
Mine is in the extent ion on my  table  saw.
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

SMF

Teknoromi