Author Topic: Stack Cutting BB  (Read 1215 times)

kalipbean

Stack Cutting BB
« on: June 22, 2011, 11:11:14 pm »
Quick question.

I am just starting one of Mikes intricate patterns. This pattern http://www.mikesscrollsawpatterns.com/pattern.asp?id=106

This is my 2nd pattern from him and i just got some 1/8" Baltic Birch from Sloans and it seems like almost every piece is somewhat warped, not terrible but  not perfectly flat. I stack cut 3 and you can see the middle of the stack a bit raised, and when drilling my entry holes (all 700+ of them) you can hear the drill hit a small gap between the wood. Do you think this will cause any issues when cutting? Anyone experience this? I just want to make sure before I spend 30 hours cutting this beast.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: Stack Cutting BB
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:30:35 pm »
I haven't tried stack cutting yet but it sounds like you didn't have any adhesive in the middle to pull them all together.
Just a thought.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 01:09:13 am »
make sure you hold them flat when drilling to avoid splinters on the backs. You can usually hold them flat when cutting but it gets tiresome after awhile. I try to reverse everyother layer of wood before driling or cutting. That helps but still leaves small gaps.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:56:46 am »
I agree with towdude. If you have already stacked and drilled, you will have to hold down on the wood as you cut, which you have to do anyway.
All 1/8" BB will have some cupping to it. So I try to alternate the cupping so when I stack them the stack stays flat.
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:14:54 am »
If you have a large piece that is getting cut out in the middle a nail or staple through the spot will help keep all the pieces together. Cut that spot out close to last or you will loose the clamping effect.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:53:16 am »
Don't worry about it.  You are going to hold it down to cut it anyway.  I do not put adhesive or tape between the layers on something that delicate.  It is too hard not to break it when taking it apart.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 12:19:28 pm »
Hey....I agree with MRSN ....  Using a small (tiny thin one) You can by being very carefull and having a plan secure all layers very, very good.  Works like a charm.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

ChuckD

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 03:25:37 pm »
As you may have noticed I do a few hard patterns.  To hold the pieces of 1/8th plywood together (never less that four) I drill holes in the larger waste areas, the last to be cut.  In those holes I glue toothpicks,  Yep, toothpicks.  Drill the holes the size of the toothpicks. dab a touch of glue on the toothpick, sand off the amount sticking out and   YOLA, the pieces all stick together and will not move a bit.  Use to use brads till I found out about this.  Ever hit a nail with a scrollsaw blade. 

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 02:42:16 am »
ninsteat of a nail  I sometimes use 2 side carpet tape in between.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 11:18:11 am »
Thanks for the toothpick idea.
I use them for lots of things but would not have thought of that.
That would be good for any stack cutting,would all most garrentee no movment
JP
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

TomC

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 12:54:48 pm »
That's why i like these threads.  Always find a good idea that would never have thought of.

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 01:58:46 pm »
Toothpicks - wow, never thought of that.  Thanks for the great idea.

SMF

Teknoromi