Author Topic: Cutting on the Line as Compared to....  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Cutting on the Line as Compared to....
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:03:43 pm »
Howdy Ya'lls....  Cutting a Pattern....:  A LINE is a MUST....  Noticed that a few of US like to cut a pattern when the CUT OUT AREA is COMPLETELY BLACK.  There IS NOT A LINE.  Anyway....Guess it was a Senior Moment.  LOL but I went thru the whole thing of applying painters tape to my wood blank, spraying the pattern and top of tape AND APPLYING MY PATTERN.  Well I bet all of you have already guessed....Yepper!  The pattern is completely BLACK where I need to cut out.  Well I could have removed the tape and pattern and started all over, but decided to CONTINUE.  Kind of a TEST for my ability at the Scrollsaw. 

Well I will honestly say that if this pattern had of been a real CRITICLE type of pattern I would have completely RUIENED IT....BUT....Believe it of now, but after finishing it I THINK IT LOOKS GREAT.  LOL  Its my Lil Sis's TURTLE I asked for a pattern.  Anyway I shall post a picture of it soon.  Just wanted to ASK ALL.

Your opinions of cutting on the LINE or OTHERWISE.  Thanks ....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting on the Line as Compared to....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:45:19 pm »
Danny I like the line it's easier for me to see what the blade is doing, that being said do what feels comfortable to you.
I also like the benefit of using much less ink by converting the pattern to a line drawing rather than half a page or more worth of ink depending on the pattern which is why the one I'm cutting now is done that way. If you think gasoline is expensive figure out what a gallon of ink would cost you, about a quarter or half ounce of ink for $15.00 or more just for black! I got $1920 for 128 ounces. :o :o :o
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:54:42 pm »
I like the line, and I know that it is easier for me to be more accurate if the line is really fine.
I do like, however, the visual that the all black cut-out gives. It is easier for me to tell what is being cut and to visualize. My favorite patterns are the ones like Steve's, where their is a line and a solid color like gray.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:05:18 pm »
I like the line, and I know that it is easier for me to be more accurate if the line is really fine.
I do like, however, the visual that the all black cut-out gives. It is easier for me to tell what is being cut and to visualize. My favorite patterns are the ones like Steve's, where their is a line and a solid color like gray.

I was thinking about that after I posted my response, ever cost conscious, use a pencil to shade in what is normally a solid black area. Can't get much cheaper than that.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:38:41 am »
Also I REALLY felt I was having to strain my eyes while trying to see where the blade was cutting on the BLACK cut out area.  My opinion is you have to have that LINE to follow.  Wud love to hear from someone that feels otherwise.
Later....  Dany  :+}

ChuckD

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:06:37 pm »
One thing I like to do is change the pattern to red.  A lot easier to see.  And the thinner the line the better.  As you cut, if you are doing it right, the line disappears.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 02:31:36 am »
One thing I like to do is change the pattern to red.  A lot easier to see.  And the thinner the line the better.  As you cut, if you are doing it right, the line disappears.

I totally agree with you.
i like the line the best when it's a bit more then 1/64" but i find 1/32" to thick.
I work in millimeters and think 0.5 / 0.6 mm is the best.

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:13:15 pm »

I for sure agree with yas bout cutting a red line being easier to see, but HOW do I change the thickness of the cut line?  Bout all I know is using Inkscape and I have finally learned how to change the over-all black area to gray and make the cut line red.  Anyway I am all ears.  LOL  Later....  Danny 

pokey

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 12:45:20 pm »
Danny,

I have inkscape, how do you change the colors?

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 02:36:12 pm »
i'm using corel draw, but to convert from a *.jpg to a *.cmx vector wich I can change is a lot of work.
best is to make the pattern in corel draw.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 03:44:46 pm »
Get Paint.NET simple search will find it. It's FREE  it lets you decide how wide a line to make. AND it's a LOT easier to use, just ask me I'm a dummy!

Gabby

Been going to try a pattern in red, just to see how much easier it is to see.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:27:19 pm by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 05:24:06 pm »
I change the ink color to red and the thickness of the line in RapidResizer.  It isn't free, but very handy for this and it's main purpose of re-sizing patterns.
Cathy
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

kalipbean

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:12:33 pm »
I like the black areas to cut as well. I ordered a bunch of patterns from Shelia and photoshopped them all black =)

ChuckD

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »
I change the ink color to red and the thickness of the line in RapidResizer.  It isn't free, but very handy for this and it's main purpose of re-sizing patterns.
Cathy

I agree with Cathy.  Been using Rapidresizer for years.  Only problem so far with it is it don't do photo, but Gabby told me about a poster program that works fine.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi