Author Topic: What Scrollsaw you use?  (Read 11320 times)

jim stiek

Re: What Scrollsaw you use?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 10:12:58 pm »
I have owned craftsman c arm,delta 16", dewalt 20" and now a 220 vs hawk newer modle also cut on excalibur 20" a lot. I like the top feed of the excalibur but only usse it for light duty cutting as the hawk is as near bullet proof as they come. if I could only have one it would be a hawk. especially now that they top feed as well as the others.

EZgoing

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 04:36:18 am »
Wllcpenney, I have the same Master Craft saw that you have...

Not a great saw by any stretch of the imagination.

Do yourself a favor and be sure to tear your saw apart enough to lube both arm pins and bushings from time to time...

Mine were shot when I got the saw.

I need someone like Patch [machinest] living next door to me so we could re-bush it... LOL

Ez

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 06:30:12 am »
I've been thru a Craftsman, a Hitachi CW40, and now have a DeWalt 788.  The DeWalt will be my last saw I love it so much.
On a similar  subject, while I had the Hitachi I had to go on the net to get an instruction manual.  While browsing there it became apparent the Hitachi was a saw also marketed under the Craftsman name.  Not anymore though.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 08:25:45 am »
excalibur EX21 - I started w/ a 18" Dremel and fell in love with the craft.  My EX21 is used daily - I'm making a decent living with it.  I've had it about 3 years.  The only problem I've had is wearing out the blade holder ends.  The are easily replaced.  I just keep a spare pair for when my blade starts slipping.  My next saw will be the EX30.  I wouldn't hesitate to stay with Excalibur.  I looked at several saws before i invested in this one.  It runs very quiet with very little vibration.

Offline deerwatcher76

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 09:20:02 am »
I have a Craftsman 16vs that I use for everything and have had no major problems. Just bought an older Craftsman at the flea market that I'm fixing up. Its a 21inch
JD

Offline macfil20

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 12:53:04 pm »
I started oout with a craftsman then bought a mastercraft maximum and last year when I retired, my wife bought me the Excalibur EX21. What a change, no more vibration
JP
Jean-Pierre

Curt

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 01:25:54 pm »
I started about 5 months ago with a hitachi from lows for $176.  It just stoped working at about 2 months so I brought it back and got another one.  The second one stopped working in one month.  I think they got a batch of faulty on/off switches.  I got fed up and bought an EX-21.  Excalaber 21 inch is great.  the saw tilts and the platform stays level that is great for bevel cutting.  Also the saw lifts up you can feed through the top of your project.  I love it.....

Rightarm

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 09:31:06 pm »
Mine is a 1671 Dremel. A fellow firefighter gave it to me. He bought it in a yard sale for $10.00. I had no idea what to do with it until I started watching Steve on Youtube. It needed some parts, like the blade tensioner, and the blade adaptors. I called Dermel, they had the parts in stock. The rest is history.  8)

Edgar

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 07:47:48 am »
Being scrolling for over 50 years and still use a hand held fretsaw. Have a Hegner for cutting thick wood and doing angle cuts.
Edgar

tgaspard

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 08:07:58 am »
Well, we have 4 Scrollsaws in our shop. I actually started scrolling serveral years  before i met Joe and before he and I got married.  He loved working with wood as well.  So, to start things off.  I ordered a Trademan scroll saw from Ebay almost 6 years ago.  Then we purchased a Delta for him from Lowe's.  We thought we were finished buying saws, until, the trademan decided to start somewhat stripping the screws that would hold the blade in place.  We then bought me a Ryobi from Home Depot.  So with now having three saws, We passed my older saw onto my step-son.  Who thought he wanted to start cutting only to find out it was a very short lived phase of his life...LOL. Looking at Craigslist one day I found a DeWalt 788 with the stand for 350.00.  Needless, to say, that is how I became the owner of four Scrollsaws...LOL.  And believe it or not they all 4 get used.  One we use for straight cuts, one we use for quick cuts, I cut on the DeWalt, hehehe, and Joe cuts on his Delta...LOL....

So now you know my story....LOL

Tonya

Dawie

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 09:53:37 am »
I use a Proxxon DSH/E. A super saw. I was taught on a Hegner, but to expansive for me. Most of the saws I read about I have never heard of, probebly depends on where in the world one lives. I live in the Netherlands and mostly Hegner or Proxxon and Dremel here.
David

GWhit

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 09:43:47 pm »
I started on an old Craftsman pinned end single speed than I found a vari-speed pinless tradesmen at a yard sale in Vermont for $20 and used it for about a year until I found a Dremel on clearance for $96 at Home Depot in Mississippi.          now if I could only find an Ex 21 new for about $200......
Oh well, I can dream.

Gordon

firewood

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 10:58:40 am »
I started on an old Craftsman pinned end single speed than I found a vari-speed pinless tradesmen at a yard sale in Vermont for $20 and used it for about a year until I found a Dremel on clearance for $96 at Home Depot in Mississippi.          now if I could only find an Ex 21 new for about $200......
Oh well, I can dream.

Gordon

you can`t go wrong with a hegner in various models.
they are expensive but quality products,german made.

Dragonlord85

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 01:34:53 pm »
I am currently using a Ryobi VS20 but am looking at upgrading to the Dewalt. The Ryobi does fine but it does have some vibration to it and the blade changing can be difficult. I have been scrolling for about a year now so I feel that it is time to upgrade (even though my wife doesn't).

uddeholm

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 01:38:10 pm »
I have a hegner. well worth the money

SMF

Teknoromi