Author Topic: On/Off foot pedal  (Read 12483 times)

jim stiek

Re: On/Off foot pedal
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 08:34:02 am »
I like the billy pedal from rbi or seyco they are a real low profile and easy on the leg and foot. For those who want to turn on the light with the saw just use a plug strip pluged into the switch then plug in the saw and light into the strip. I use my light for other things besides cutting tho.

ripchief

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 08:47:08 am »
I use a system to avoid Patch's mishap...It might me less safe than shutting off the power, but it seems to work...My foot switch is on the floor next to the saw...I sit on a counter height stool that has cross bars near the bottom...Every time that I take my foot off of the switch, I move it away from switch by hooking it into the stool bar...Whatever works...The important point is to figure out a system, and then develop a habit, so that the safety practices just come naturally...If securing power works best for you, that's great, but DO IT EVERY SINGLE TIME...We are creatures of habit.

In designing my setup, I'd read about people that used their knee to operate the switch, but I saw too many potential problems with inadvertent activation of the switch...The knee setup would prohibit me from standing off to the side while cutting a larger workpiece...The knee thing would also require me to apply constant pressure against the side of the stand...I think that would feel too awkward and not allow me to remain comfortable throughout the cutting process.

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 09:12:28 pm »
Janet, I too use the switch from Woodcraft. Scrolled for a while without one but will not make that mistake again. it is well worth the investment.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

JT

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 08:15:59 am »
What is the major difference between the on/off switch and the momentary switch offered from Woodcraft ??

JT

Marshall

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 09:23:39 am »
What is the major difference between the on/off switch and the momentary switch offered from Woodcraft ??

JT
I brought my foot switch at Woodcraft for about $25 shipping and all { Love It } . But later brought another back-up foot switch  at Harbor Frieght for half that's $10 and compared them > they were the exact same foot switch . So you know where the deal is { Harbor Frieght } , the on/off works like you place your foot on it and when you lift you foot off of it > it stops your tool . ..I like the switch for when the foot off it's dead and I love this feature for sure ........hope this helps someone ...........Marshall
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:32:36 pm by Marshall »

keidiag

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 09:56:56 am »
There are drawbacks to both of these switches.

When using a kill switch you have to make a conscious effort turn the saw off. If your foot is not in contact with the switch then you first have to find the switch with your foot before you can turn the saw off. If you are at a critical point cutting a pattern it may be already too late. The good thing about the kill switch is that during a long cutting run the comfort level is better because your free to move your foot. Another disadvantage is that you do not have complete control over the number of strokes the blade travels; if you hit the on/off action as quickly as you can as many as 15 strokes have occurred (really depends on how fast you have the saw at).

The momentary switch acts like a kill switch... the saw stops when you take your foot off the switch. The disadvantage is that you have to have your foot in constant contact with the switch and then your comfort level decreases. There is a way around this and that is to place your foot where the switch is closer to your instep rather than use your toes. The biggest advantage is that you are able to control the number of strokes the blade has. With practice a single stroke can be achieved; this is especially useful for cutting very sharp curves.

I have both types of switch but my preference is the momentary switch because of the control. The best recommendation I can give you is to try both switches then make your decision.

I have not used a knee switch so I won't comment on it. Perhaps one of the other members can post the pros and cons about the knee setup.

Hope that my 2 cents worth helps...Keith

ufgator

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 10:57:27 am »
I just purchased a momentary foot switch from Harbor Freight ($9.99 - 20% off coupon = $7.99).  Can't beat that price. Now I need to get used to it. First impression is it's Great for exactly what keidiag stated. Happy Scrolling!

Bill

JT

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 05:56:11 pm »
Very helpful replies, thanks so much. I am in the process of rearranging my shop and will probably fix a more comfortable set up for the scroll saw use. I wasn't sure about the difference in the 2 switches.

PS: Isn't this forum an awesome opportunity for folks to share with each other??

northie66

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 07:55:08 pm »
I ordered the switch from Harbor Freight... thanks ufgator.  Of course, I paid more because I ordered it online.  I don't have that store near me.  I can't wait to get it!!!  Thanks everyone for your explanations and such :)

chief

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 12:52:38 am »
I went to Harbor Freight and got the "deadman" switch for 9.99.  Pretty good investment I think.  Really havent used it much though.  I also put casters on the scrollsaw stand, but it is way too high.  The caster are coming off and I will use them on my router table.

BillBo

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 05:53:39 am »
Hey Janet,Wax up your table,plug in your foot switch and your ready to start cutting,Lots of good info on this site isnt there,BillBo

keidiag

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 08:51:28 am »
Hi Janet

I'm curious....which switch did you order, Dead Man or Momentary?

Keith

northie66

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 07:46:45 pm »
After much deliberation... momentary.   ;D

keidiag

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 10:52:02 pm »
I don't think you'll regret getting the momentary one. If you need help setting it up or run into problems just send me a personal msg. Hopefully I'll be able point you in the right direction..

Keith

zosmatech

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 05:03:19 pm »
I am so there with Janet, and thank you everyone for your input. I too am worried about the comfort level of the dead-man switch, but there have been too many times while doing fret work that I wish I could have just said stop, to shut my saw off, so it appears that the dead man is what I need. I have had both ankles broken in the past, so maybe this will help kink out the stiffness, if not will have to go to momentary. I will up date this after I use it a bit.

SMF

Teknoromi