Author Topic: On/Off foot pedal  (Read 12482 times)

northie66

On/Off foot pedal
« on: April 22, 2010, 05:52:56 pm »
I have some extension cords that have an on/off tap switch... like they use for Christmas trees.  Are these ok to use for scroll saws?  Can you use any on/off switch?

Thanks,
Janet

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: On/Off foot pedal
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:15:25 pm »
Hi Janet, First I sent you a private message explaining how to send one. The foot pedal switch that most people use is made for power tools and there amp rate of power. Also it will free up both hands for scrolling. When you lift your foot the saw stops. It is also designed for the amount of pressure your foot produces. I would not recommend one not made for the job and the one you are discribing doesn't. I got mine from Sears. Hope this helps... 8)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:22:43 pm by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

thumbs

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:19:10 pm »
Janet--what you need is a momentary foot switch. this works when you push with foot and turns off when you lift your foot up--Harbor freight has some for around $15 it think--I have used one of theirs for  a couple of years I Hope this helps you.  Richard aka thumbs

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:38:20 pm »
Janet - I got mine at Woodcraft for about twenty dollars.  The foot pedal will save your on/off switch on the machine from being replaced as often.  I like the control you have when cutting.  Also I put a cover (just clear tape) over my on/off switch to keep sawdust out.  I think the foot pedal is as close to a must as a good light source.

Barry

ripchief

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:50:51 pm »
Mine is the momentary on/off (if you take your foot off of it, the saw shuts off) that I picked up at Woodcraft for $20...It is EXTREMELY handy, especially for delicate situations where taking your hand off the workpiece to operate the on/off switch could result in ruining your project...There are also those situations where you're cutting along, and you get to a point that you need to immediately stop the cut and rethink how to proceed, before you are about to make a mistake...Not to mention that if the blade breaks, you can immediately stop the machine (although, this isn't an issue on the Eclipse saw, because if the blade breaks on it, then the saw senses that it lost tension and will shut off automatically).

My saw (Dremel 1680; trust me, don't buy it) has an onboard light (poor design, but it's there)...I don't use it...Instead, I use a circular florescent magnifier light...If I were to use the onboard light (which uses the same power cord as the saw motor), the light would turn on and off every time that I press the pedal.

In any event, I will not cut without a foot switch...If I were a scroll saw manufacturer, I'd include it as part of the purchase package.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 07:02:22 pm »
hi janet,
I use a momentary foot switch also. I got mine at HarborFreight.com for $9.99 before tax, I picked it up at the store near my town so the shipping cost wasnt applied. I wouldnt use a scroll saw without a foot switch, cause I do think its best to have both your hands free to manuever your project.

keidiag

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 07:51:03 pm »
Hi Janet

I'd be lost without my foot pedal. There is so much more control with it. Works especially well when you have to cut sharp corners, just a few taps and u r have it done. I would not recommend using a Xmas Tree switch though...not rated for the power of the saw and you may damage the motor or the speed control. I bought mine thru Ebay for under $20 inc shipping.

Happy Scrolling....Keith

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 08:00:51 pm »
I too could not live without my foot switch.  However I tried both types and I prefer the tap on and remove foot and tap off when I want to stop the saw.  I get leg cramps from having to hold the pedal down on the other type.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

wgm

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:21:10 pm »
You can use the (dead man switch) on all power tools. As additional point of safty 

ripchief

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:40:24 pm »
Yes, the foot switch can be used with other tools...However, be careful to pay attention to the amperage rating of the tool as compared to the amperage rating of the switch...Do not attempt to use a tool that has a higher amperage rating than the switch...Refer to label plates/operator's manuals for these ratings.

Along these lines, pay attention to the amperage rating of tools with respect to the amperage rating of extension cords (if used)...The amperage rating is related to the wire gauge used in the extension cord...For example, a 14 AWG cord can support a greater load than a 16 AWG cord (smaller numbers mean larger diameter wire, which means larger current carrying capability)...Also, keep the length of the extension cord as short as possible...Too long of an extension cord and/or too small of wire gauge will "starve" the power needed to efficiently operate equipment.

northie66

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 09:45:55 pm »
What's the amperage of the Dewalt 788?

cherie

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 09:57:27 pm »
Ok, I am gonna sound really funny here...my first foot pedal was made from a hand skil saw switch and a board.  I do not know how he did it, but it worked great.  I do have a foot switch I purchased from Shopsmith when I bought belts for my saw.

keidiag

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 11:43:01 pm »
Janet

The amperage of the 788 is 1.3 amp (NOM). I guess that means 'nominal' (average???)

Keith

northie66

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 06:21:29 am »
Now I don't know which I want... a kill switch or a momentary switch.

Decisions... decisions...

patch

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 07:36:19 am »
I have some extension cords that have an on/off tap switch... like they use for Christmas trees.  Are these ok to use for scroll saws?  Can you use any on/off switch?

Thanks,
Janet

I made my on/ off switch and I use my knee to operate it the only thing is I keep forgetting to turn the main off when I am changing the blade it has painful results

[attachment deleted by admin]

SMF

Teknoromi