Author Topic: Cutting Angles  (Read 546 times)

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
Cutting Angles
« on: October 06, 2020, 07:19:59 am »
I use two types of blades mostly - Flying Dutchman and Pegas.  Also have a few from Niqua.

One thing that is irritating is that each brand cuts at a different angle.  That is, to cut a straight line, you have to angle your wood differently with each brand, and sometimes with each type of blade.

With one brand, you have to angle to cut line towards 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock.  With a different brand, you have to angle the cut line towards 10 o'clock or 11 o'clock.

I guess if you use only one brand all the time, you will become so used to it that it won't be an issue.  However, I have too many blades of each brand to just throw them out.  Since the blades seem to last a long time, and do not break, it will take some time to use up.

No real point here, just venting.
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
Re: Cutting Angles
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 06:46:47 pm »
Most blades are stamped out so that the drift is to the right.  PG (Precision Ground) blades are ground instead of stamp so they shouldn't have an offset.

But yeah, you have to see what that blade is doing in that wood. 

You want some real fun?  Try some puzzle blades.  They are wildly temperamental.  The ones that work best for me (Superior Puzzle) have about a 45 degree offset.

When in doubt, do at least a short test cut.

SMF

Teknoromi