Author Topic: Food-Safe Finish  (Read 12285 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Food-Safe Finish
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:04:49 am »
FYI - Here' the response from Howard's about Feed-N-Wax:
Hello Ray,

Although the Feed-N-Wax is made from some natural ingredients, like beeswax.  It also has a solvent in it that is not food grade.  Feed-N-Wax would need to be mixed and poured on a sanitary/clean machine and mix tank?it is not.  The good news is, we do make a product very similar to Feed-N-Wax that is food grade.  It is called Howard Butcher Block Conditioner.  It contains food grade mineral oil and beeswax?mixed and poured in a sanitary environment to ensure quality.  Please review Butcher Block Conditioner on our website,   www.howardproducts.com   The conditioner is available at the Home Depot and many other retail outlets.  If you cannot find one near you.  Call us and ask one of the girls where it is sold in your zip code area.
I hope this helps.
Eric

I've seen that Butcher Block product listed from Amazon Prime.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Scroll Down

Re: Food-Safe Finish
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 02:18:49 pm »
I have a friend that turns bowls and this is all he uses.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:14:21 pm »
I use this for food safe stuff:  "Salad Bowl Finish by General Finishes" available at Rockler & Woodcraft.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:43:29 pm »
Folks,
All finishes, designed as a finish in North Americia are food safe once fully cured.
Things like Feed and wax, lemon oil and orange oil are not designed as a finish. These products are designed for cleaning and or polishing wood. As long as it is designed as a finish, it is food safe. Check the label for the curing duration.
Dan In Southern California

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:28:37 pm »
Folks,
All finishes, designed as a finish in North Americia are food safe once fully cured.
Things like Feed and wax, lemon oil and orange oil are not designed as a finish. These products are designed for cleaning and or polishing wood. As long as it is designed as a finish, it is food safe. Check the label for the curing duration.

I never have a problem with you repeating that, we have new friends all the time that are unaware, thanks.

Pete (on vacation in Phoenix :)...)
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

SMF

Teknoromi