Author Topic: The Dewalt scoll saw DW788 Defected  (Read 10315 times)

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
The Dewalt scoll saw DW788 Defected
« on: June 19, 2012, 04:38:03 pm »
I took my dewalt scroll saw to Acme tools and they sent it to dewalt for repairs and I guess what I was told that the type 2 with the year 2010 are Defected.  They replace my scroll saw with a new one with the year 2012. This saw works great.  So if you have this scroll saw and type 2 that say 2010 call up dewalt and as for a replacement. 
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
Re: The Dewalt scoll saw DW788 Defected
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:14 am »
 Guess I'am lucky I have type 1, and no problems.  Edward

scrollsaw_Lee

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:30:29 pm »
Ive got a DW788 Type 2 2006 no problems at all best saw i've ever owned.

mainescroller

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:28:03 am »
Hi,  was just wondering if you know what the defect is,as I have DW788 Type 2 2010 and have been trying different suggestions found on other sites,for blade travel front to back, moving bottom assembly,moving top,adjusting tension,have now replaced top arm and wedge,hoping wedge was the problem,saw is about 1 year old,but now that I have messed with it,i'm probably on my own to get it fixed......have not contacted Dewalt yet.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:50:20 pm »
How do you know if you have a type 1 or 2?  I will check the tag when I get back to the shop. Inside for a while today, Temp upper 80's -  humidity DRIPPING!!!!
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Mainewoods

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:19:32 pm »
Billy - It's on the label on the motor.

mainescroller - PM me if you'd like to know what I did with my Delta 40-690 (exact same machine).  Little too lengthy to post here.  BTW - I'm in the midcoast area, near Rockland, how about you?

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 08:33:06 am »
Mainewoods, I also have a Delta 40-690 and would be interested in your fix for that saw.  Even if it is a long post, it might be worthwhile for the 40-690 users to post it here.

On another note, my 40-690 is marked as type 1, even though it is only a couple of years old.  Does anyone know if that means it is like the Type 1 DW788?

Thanks,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:01:57 am »
Does anyone have the contact number for DeWalt they would be willing to post? 
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Mainewoods

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 03:19:38 pm »
On another note, my 40-690 is marked as type 1, even though it is only a couple of years old.  Does anyone know if that means it is like the Type 1 DW788?

Thanks,
Jim
Sorry Jim, the Delta Type 1 is the same as a Dewalt Type 2.  The Delta's didn't come out until after the Delta company got bought out by the owner of Dewalt (et al!)  There is no Delta Type 2, unless you'd consider the 40-695 the type 2! ::) (especially since they changed very little about it!)

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:13:48 pm »
Mainewoods, I was afraid that the Delta type 1 was the Dewalt type 2 in different paint.

Oh well, I had to ask.

Thanks,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 12:49:58 pm »
I have the Dewalt Type 2.  I purchased it  in March of 2011. Before that I had a Porter Cable. What are the defects with the type 2?  The biggest problem I have is with the movement of the arms. I am a top feeder and about half the time when changing frets, I have to bump the switch in order to make the arm move up or down to be able to feed the blade. I have been told this is a glitch in the 788.  Guess I have just learned to deal with it and it has become a non problem.  The other problem is when I remove the table and go to replace it, the bolt that goes through the trunnion slips back into the hole. I just have to be careful not to let the slot on the trunnion push it. I am sure I can correct that if I unbolt the saw from my table and take a look underneath.. Once again I have just learned to deal with it. Any thought or suggestions appreciated

Mainewoods

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »
Billy, according to those who have experience with the 788 type 1, the type 2 lost a lot in quality and workmanship, due to its production having been moved overseas.  I've read about problems with the hole in the table being off-center, blade clamps rattling loose, tightening mechanism coming apart, and a myriad of other problems, a few of which I've run into with my Delta, but nothing I couldn't work with or around (or simply fix).  I too went from a Porter Cable to a Type 2 clone (40-690) and although the PC was a great saw, it definitely lacked the smoothness and versatility of the parallel link systems.  I've run into the situation you talked about with the arm not wanting to come up all the way, and like you, I just tap my foot switch and all is well. 

Glen

willieg

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 03:21:49 pm »
Hi! Myname is Willie I was reading the blog and am having a problem with my DW788
type 2 saw. I have had the saw 4 months and all of a sudden it has developed a "rattle". When the saw is running if you gently lift up on the pivoting arm tha holds the blade with your finger,the "rattling" goes away. Putting some UP pressure on the lift arm makes no differance. any help appericiated>>>>>>

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 09:05:12 pm »
Glen,

Thanks for that reply.  I think my saw is pretty much sound with no real problems. Haven't had any parts falling off or rattles.  Very early on I had a heck of a problem with the blade tension. I would mount a blade, apply the tension I wanted. When I started sawing the blade would wobble and bend and the tension would be very loose. Worked on this or a couple hours VERY FRUSTRATED! I finally removed the table, mounted a blade and stated the saw. Low and behold I spotted the problem right away! The two bolts ( part #44 ) that hold the lower rocker assembly ( part #13  ) were loose.  When you tighten the tension it would pick up on the assembly and stay tight -  until the arms moved and the it would wiggle up and down with the movement of the arms . Tightened the two bolts and problem solved.  Hole in the table is centered and the table is flat.  Had a friend tell me to check that. He had heard of some tables not being flat. Biggest problem I have now is blade slippage. I flatten the two screws, clean the blades but after a while it goes south again. Guess it is due to the amount of use it gets.  I do use a foot switch but I seem to be one of the very few that uses a on  - off switch  rather than a dead man switch. I am going to hook up the dead man foot switch and give it a try. Guess I just got comfortable with the other one.

Mainewoods

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 09:14:31 pm »
Billy - Have you used Locktite on the set screws?  I've heard of those backing themselves off slightly and causing problems with tension and bending blades.  After I adjusted mine to get the blade travel right, I used blue locktite on 'em to make sure they didn't move.  Haven't had any slippage problems other than my own mistakes of not cleaning the blade good enough or not quite getting the blade all the way into the bottom clamp.  

Willie - Take a look on Rick Hutcheson's site here:  http://www.scrollsaws.com
On the left side, under the heading "Reviews", click the link for "Dewalt Tune-up".  Lots of useful information on the Dewalt there, and hopefully a solution to your knocking problem.  Good Luck!

Glen
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:25:16 pm by Mainewoods »

SMF

Teknoromi