Author Topic: I'm a dummy that wants to learn Stack Cutting  (Read 4739 times)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
I'm a dummy that wants to learn Stack Cutting
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:56:26 pm »
Scrolled 1 1/2 years, but always single pieces.  i.e.  Did this: http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/Search.aspx?k=62241   Everything else I did was an individualized personal gift.  Just bought this pattern:  http://www.wildwooddesigmens.com/Search.aspx?k=62241 and want to stack 1/4" BB with 1/8" Luan on top.  Would you kind people educate me on holding the stack together.  Have room on the corners for glued in toothpick dowels.

1.  Is blue tape around the perimeter & dowels adequate?  LOTS of very fine cuts.  Would the sheets separate and get sawdust in between the sheets?

2.  I am a fan of Blue tape & 3M spray.  Should I cover all sides of every sheet & glue them together?  If so would it be possible to pry apart the finished product, or would the tiny pieces break?

A big Thanks for any and help.

jerry

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: I'm a dummy that wants to learn Stack Cutting
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 04:20:43 pm »
on the stacks i have done all i use is tape to keep them together.never use the toothpick method never had a reason to.the tape method works for me.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 05:41:01 pm »
I have used tape, but found on the backside restricts how easy it will slide on the table top, if your cutting 1/4 bb, at a 3 stack you can use a brad nailer with 5/8ths brads and nail 3 together without the nail going through, if want to do 4 get one nail to just catch the 4th one, flip over and not nailing in the good part I put them at the corners and in the waste brad nail the stack. This also pulls the stack tight without any gaps and has worked great for me, thats if you have you a brad nailer and a air compressor to run it. I got my small nailer at HF there is also a pin nailer uses small pins to hold wood together, useful in helping glue projects together and creates a tiny hole, most times will not see it.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:05:37 pm »
I do lots of stack cutting, and rarely do anything other then tape the edges. I do mostly portraits and only put a nail or toothpick in the middle if my wood is bowing with a gap in the middle. (usually I check and keep the bowing in the same direction so there is no gap, but sometimes I miss one)

When I stack cut ornaments (or other things where I am cutting several pieces out of one board) I will usually drill an entrance hole rather then cut from the outside. It really helps to keep everything together. I do sometimes put a nail in the middle to keep things together.

ChuckD

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:49:10 pm »
I have used the toothpick process for several years.  They are cheap so you can use as many as you can.  I put them mostly in the larger areas, the ones I cut out last.  Before the toothpicks, I tape it together with blue tape or cheap masking tape.  I then put on the pattern by applying right after I spray it.  Then the toothpicks.  Most of the stuff I cut is, or was, stacked.  You don't want the stack to shift.  As far as sawdust between the layer, I feel that is not something to worry about.  The only time sawdust has been a problem was before i started gluing the pattern so heavy.  Now it can't get in between the pattern and the wood.  And remember, I use junk for the top layer so I can take the top off and no more work.  Good Luck :) :) :)

old wormy

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:06:35 pm »
The method that I use for stack cutting 3 pcs 1/8 bb is to tightly clamp the stack at 4 corners with hand clamps, run a bead of hot melt glue accross the thickness of the 3 pcs at least at each corner, after the glue sets remove the clamps and cover the top with purple painters tape, the pattern is spray glued onto the tape and a layer of clear packing tape goes on top. The purple tape has a little less glue than the blue tape and therefore pulls off easier when removing the pattern and the pattern can be left on for days with no problems coming off.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 08:07:54 pm »
I have used staples from my hand held staple gun with great succes. I mostly use 3/8 but on yur stack 1/4 would work great.  No movement, no dragging rom tape on the back and the staple go with the scrap. This is my go to method when ever I can make it work.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline rrjwright

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 08:20:40 pm »
I  also clamp the peices together and Hot Glue the edges.  Makes for a very strong peice of wood.

Jim. . .
Scroll'n... Scroll'n.... Scroll'n
Keep that Sawdust Flow'n

Becky

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 09:59:11 pm »
Not to hijack this thread, but could someone explain the toothpick thing?

Generally speaking, if the pieces aren't too big, I have no trouble with just using the blue tape.  I *do* have trouble with the center parts of larger pieces.  I would expect the same problem with the hot glue approach.  Last time I was stack cutting would about 8" square I used double sided tape in the middle and it worked but it was pretty hard to get off afterwards and I would worry if it was super delicate.  Does the toothpick thing solve this movement in the center problem?

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 12:01:25 pm »
You folk are an awesome bunch !!!!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERTISE

jerry

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 01:49:19 pm »
Blue masking tape around the outside edges, pattern, then let the packing tape overlap from top to bottom. Be aware as you cut that you might be cutting away your support and might need to add some back in - especially if you're cutting a shape out the stack like a cross where the outer edges are cut away.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 05:35:01 pm »
I usually use double sided carpet tape for stack cutting. However if the design is really intricate on 1/8" wood, I wouldn't advise it. I usually cut 1/4" or greater and most of my patterns are not that intricate.
One thing you might try if you just tape around the outside edges is, after you cut all the interior area and start on the outer cut, to stop and re-tape as you go. Example, cut the top portion completely away and the put a piece of blue tape in that area, then one side and re-tape that side and then the bottom and re-tape. By the time you cut the last side you will be done and have only three pieces of tape to contend with.
Just a suggestion.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Rover2

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:06 pm »
In most cases when I am stack cutting I wrap the edges with clear tape. Not the invisible tape but the clear cellephane tape (cheap at wal-mart-97 cents for 1500 feet of tape)  Have never had a problem with this.  Works for me. Never heard of the tooth pick thing before now.  Could someone explain this.  I'm stumped. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

lennywin

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 04:12:33 pm »
I'm about to try my first portrait and I want to try stacking.  I'm a little confused about the sacrificial board.  Some seem to place it on top of the stack and some on the bottom.  ????

Becky

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 11:04:19 pm »
My understanding is that putting it on the bottom makes it the piece with all the fuzzies, making the other pieces pretty much ready to go.  The only reason I can think of for putting on the top would be if you were worried about the tape or adhesive or whatever doing damage to the top layer.  I haven't done many portraits myself but I have put it on the bottom when I did them.

But I am still waiting for somebody to elaborate on this toothpick thing!

SMF

Teknoromi