Author Topic: How in the world.....  (Read 2124 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
How in the world.....
« on: November 08, 2012, 06:29:04 pm »
Do you cut out the inside holes on very small designs? The holes are so tiny my blade is bigger than they are much less drilling a hole to insert blade in.

Maybe I had better stick with bigger patterns.  LOL
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
Re: How in the world.....
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:24:39 pm »
Or you could get smaller blades, and you may need to get smaller drill bits. I use a #68 bit for a #1 size blade. Mike has both.
Pete

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:25:23 pm »
Hey George, Using smaller blades and micro bits are the answer. I mostly use blades in sizes of 3, 2, 1 and 2/0. Like was said above, go to www.mikesworkshop.com. He has the micro bits and mini Collette to hold the bits in your drill press.
Dan In Southern California

thumbs

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:53:48 am »
George, I have been known to skip the real small cuts if I don't feel it would make much difference to the pattern- I have even joined two smaller cuts that are real close together--does not seem to distract from the cutting--in the grand scale of things, no one will know if you don't tell them--jmho--Richard

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 08:02:18 am »
thumbs I agree and sometimes do the same thing. These old bad eyes just won't let me do but so much.When the pattern come off and it still looks good, no one else is the wiser.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:45:54 pm by Billy in Va »
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

bubbaloo158

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 10:32:07 am »
If the hole is too small to even thread a blade... how much will it show if you don't cut it?  Also... if the hole is round, would it be cheating if you just drilled it and left it as is - without cutting it with a blade?

Just a thought.

Bobby

Dean A

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:09:49 pm »
Hey George, Using smaller blades and micro bits are the answer. I mostly use blades in sizes of 3, 2, 1 and 2/0. Like was said above, go to www.mikesworkshop.com. He has the micro bits and mini Collette to hold the bits in your drill press.

I bought the mini chuck from Mike, not too happy with it to be honest with you. Its hard to get the drill to run true. Seems like a cheap version of some other mini's I have seen.  Although, the blades he sells are the best!!!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 12:21:21 pm »
I agree with you Dean. I prefer the one Sloan's sells, but I though it would be easier to recommend one site to order FD blades, drill bits and the chuck.
The Sloan's chuck runs truer, unfortunately the thin shaft that mounts inside the drill press chuck will bend easily, then the mini chuck wont run true. When this happens, I cut the shaft off and chuck the body of the mini chuck into the drill press. That works fine.
Here is the link to Sloan's: www.sloanswoodshop.com
Dan In Southern California

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 06:41:00 pm »
I have been using Mike's blades, micro bits and mini-chuck for several years now with no problems at all.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

ChuckD

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 04:27:52 pm »
Here is a tip I use when using really small blades.  When drilling the holes use a bit that is big enought for the blades width (thickest or what ever), not the side with the blades teeth.  Then drill two or three holes in a line and the blades will slip right in. It helps if you put a point on the bottom of the blade.
When using a bit chuck that wobbles, touch the bit to the wood before turning on the drill press.  I even indent the blade a little, but be careful.  This is sometimes the time of breaking bits.   Good Luck

SMF

Teknoromi