Author Topic: Bandsaw  (Read 2136 times)

Offline MrA

• View Profile
Bandsaw
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:27:40 pm »
My bandsaw is getting to be a pain in the neck so I think it is time for a new one. I have looked at reviews of various saws and all seem to have the same type of reviews with some good and some saying never buy this one. Any recommendations?
Tom
One mistake leads to expensive firewood and I have had a couple of good fires since I started.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:46:08 am »
I'm very happy with my Jet 14" bandsaw with a riser block and most of the Carter upgrades.  It resaws perfectly and has plenty of power.  It also works well for bandsaw boxes and other curvy work.  What's wrong with the one you have?
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

thumbs

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:59:00 am »
Mr A--I just bought the craftsmans 14 inch band saw--It cost a little over $400 now- I ordered a set of timber wolf blades(1/2 3/8 1/4) and it works great, It has a 8 inch resaw height and the 1/2 inch resaw blade cuts like the log is butter--JMHO   Richard

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:49:45 am »
I alo have the Craftman and it cuts well after it's adjusted right. But it has an odd table layout - the slot to remove the blade points at the sawyer so you cannot mount a fence guide on that edge (the guide will block blade removal). I use a magnetic fence.

It would alo be nice to have the quick-release lever to loosen and tighten when changing blades.

Look for a video on setting up the saw - it make a big difference.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

pddesertrat

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 10:49:52 am »
I have a Grizzly 14"  so far, so good. 

Offline MrA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 11:58:30 pm »
After reading a few dozen reviews on different bandsaws I ordered a grizzley 14 inch from amazon. Although I was assured of 3 to 5 day delivery I finally received it after 16 days. Some assembly required, well after 3 hours assembly and an hour to complete the setup I am more than satisfied. Thankfully my son was handy to help lift get it to the shop and get it on the stand, total weight is close to 200 pounds. A few extra bucks but it is so smooth running a great addition to my shop and well worth the cost. Now the only thing left is a quiet dust collection system.
BTW, when I called amazon about delivery taking so long they refunded me $100 so the wait was worth it. lol
Tom
One mistake leads to expensive firewood and I have had a couple of good fires since I started.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 12:28:06 am »
I needed a saw with some muscle, so splurged and got the Grizzly 17" 5 HP saw and absolutely love it.  Some people think Grizzly tools aren't that great for quality, but I've had this one for 4 years without any problems.  It's so accurate I can even cut veneer with it.  Well worth the money.
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 10:28:24 pm »
When I am in a budget to get a bandsaw I plan on the grizzly models think its the 555 model there is a vid on youtube a guy talks about 3 or 4 different models and I like them, easy to use quiet, and smooth running, easy blade change with a tension lever.

SMF

Teknoromi