Author Topic: General Intarsia Question??  (Read 1779 times)

ReefDiver

General Intarsia Question??
« on: May 24, 2010, 02:20:59 pm »

Hi All: Never having done any Intarsia work before I was just wondering about the details of how the individual pieces of wood are cut on the scroll saw? How does one do this so that the pieces fit together so well after being cut out? I assume that  a very fine blade is used to make the cuts? Are the pieces cut at an angle at all? Are the individual pieces glued together at the seams or just to the background that they are laid on? Obviously by my questions I have no idea about the various techniques used to make these awesome pieces of art. Thanks for any responses...........

Steve

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
Re: General Intarsia Question??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:44:17 pm »
Hi Steve and all others wishing to jump in and start enjoying the world of making Intarsias, go to http://intarsia.net/   and scroll down to the left side of the page and click on (Intarsia E Book). If you follow through all chapters it will take you from start to finish in creating your first Intarsia.

I hope this helps
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

daneklund

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:44:23 pm »
Hello all
Al gave you one reference for an intarsia E-book by Bruce Worthington.  There is also an Intarsia Manual which is a pdf version (there is a charge for it) but it will give you another method for doing projects.  It is at www.intarsiadesigns.com.  Just remember there is not just one way to do a project. As Bruce mentioned in his E-book there are several ways to shape using various sanding devices and there are multiple ways to finish the projects.  Most important is that you check to make sure your table and blade are perpendicular to each other.  Then after you cut a piece, double check to make sure the sides of the piece are square to the table top. It is easy to apply a slight side force when you cut which forces a bow in the blade and your pieces will not fit together nice and tight when you are finished.  Checking the squareness is a good habit to get into, because it will also let you know when your blade is getting dull and time to change it.  As the blade gets more dull, you start increasing the force against the blade and then it is much easier to add side pressure.  Let us know how your projects are coming along. 

ReefDiver

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:11:01 pm »

Thanks for those responses! Sounds to me like a very exacting & challenging technique to me. I will do some more research & reading before deciding to try it. Thanks again,

Steve

SMF

Teknoromi