Author Topic: Where to start  (Read 3802 times)

Tim

Where to start
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:12:13 am »
Having never done Intasia, where would be a good place to start?  Books, patterns, blog/web sites?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: Where to start
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:41:06 am »
Hi Tim, take a look at this site. http://www.intarsia.com/

Judy Gale Roberts is one of the finest intarsia designers. You will find videos, book and patterns. They also give classes if you live close to Tennessee it is a first class operation.

Offline Swedishgeppetto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:38:00 pm »
Begin by attending an Introcuction to Scroll Saw Class which includes setting up your scroll saw, blade selection, and basic saw cuts.  Then purchase an Intarsia Workbook, which is learning intarsia through step by step projects. Then practice, practice, practice!

daneklund

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 01:39:31 am »
I agree with all the above.  If you have a Woodcraft store nearby check their class schedules.  They may have a scrollsaw class or even an intarsia class.  Good Luck and enjoy.
Cheers.

rwb

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 08:42:58 am »
always wanted to do intarsia afraid of trying an messing up

daneklund

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 05:36:41 pm »
About messing up - Start with the simple projects with not too many pieces.  Saw the pieces carefully, making sure your blade is perpindicular to the table.  You can always resaw a piece if it is too badly out of shape.  Then start shaping by sanding off a little and refitting the piece.  Mark the next with a pencil line from the one you just shaped.  Do not try to ahieve the final shape at first.  Shape all the pieces some and then go back to readjust.  Then change to finer sandpaper and move towards the final shape. 

Offline Caribbean Scroller

• View Profile
    • http://www.woodartz.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:34:12 pm »
hi, those were some good words there from EclipseScroller and steve. A good beginner piece from Judy Gale Roberts is the double dolphins. you can make a single dolphin or both if you want to from her patern .

[attachment deleted by admin]

rwb

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 09:33:04 am »
awsome work wish i could do that :'(

cherie

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 11:03:09 pm »
Ron, I am sure we can all learn together.  I want to learn also, but may try segmentation to start.

Rightarm

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 12:38:10 am »
    I'm going to jump in with both feet. I figure if I mess up a piece, I'll make an earring or something out of it. LOL Dave

daneklund

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 02:10:34 am »
Go for it.  We have all messed up at times.  Even after completing many pieces sometimes something just does not come together right.  As said before, Judy Gale Roberts has a couple free patterns complete with instructions on her site.  www.intarsia.com  I use one of those for the beginning class at the local Woodcraft.  We can easily complete the project in the one day except for the final finishing.  Most students want to take the piece home as is and then do another one where they can fix the problems they had on the first.  Practice, Practice, and Enjoy, Enjoy.

shissta

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 10:29:18 pm »
Very nice

Dragonlord85

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 11:18:48 am »
I did some segmentation and then decided to take the leap to intarsia. This was the first one I have done.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b441/Dragonlord85_album/Scroll%20saw%20projects/IntarsiaShip2.jpg

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 12:26:41 pm »
Hi Tim, another good site that has a free pattern with step by step instructions is: intarsia.net It's a nice little project that is fun to do.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

KENINLEX

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 02:36:53 pm »
The first one I did was a free pattern was a whale from Judy's sight. Then I really jumped in the water when someone saw Judy's Blue Heron and I did it.
It's time consuming but you really get a lot out of it.
Ken

[attachment deleted by admin]

SMF

Teknoromi