Author Topic: Bear Box Intarsia--A WIP  (Read 3132 times)

wdkits1

Bear Box Intarsia--A WIP
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:40:50 am »
Hi everyone
This is the subject photo of my next commissioned intarsia box for a client in Big Canoe, Ga . I will be posting a step by step WIP for those interested in seeing this project come to life. Should be a fun project--stay tuned.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:41:43 pm by wdkits1 »

chips

Re: Bear Box Intarsia
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:47:29 am »
 Looking forward to that. Intarsia is something I haven't tried yet but can imagine this will be quite a complicated project.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:09:25 am »
Definitely keep us updated on the progress with pictures if you can. I would really like to see how it goes.  8)  8)  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

daneklund

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 05:19:41 pm »
That should be a great project.  Enjoy the process and looking forward to the photos.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:48:58 pm »
That Bear design will make a beautiful cover for a Box; I'm sure it will turn out as beautiful as your other boxes.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

KENINLEX

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 10:56:28 pm »
By all means keep us posted. I looked at some of your kits, what a way for someone new to get started. when I did Judy's Blue Herion it was getting the wood together that was really hard.
Thanks
Ken

wdkits1

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:41:59 am »
I got the box glued up and the lid cut off yesterday. The box measures 7" x 9" x 3.5 " and is made from some beautiful Fishtail Oak with a Wenge accent strip. I have applied one coat of satin wipe on poly with at least 2 more coats to be applied to make the grain pop.

To see all of the steps necessary to get the box to this point visit my blog at:
http://midlothianwoodworks.wordpress.com/buffalo-box-intarsia-a-work-in-progress/

On to the pattern for the Bear Box

wdkits1

Re: Bear Box Intarsia--A WIP
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 04:30:54 pm »

Here is the first draft of the pattern that I will use for the Bear Box Intarsia.

The outside dimensions are 6" x 8" and is made to fit into the lid of the box. I used Office Word to do the ovals but hand drew the bear and all the details . I'm sure that I will modify a few things as I go but for now it is a good starting point.
On to the fun part.

chips

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 04:38:39 pm »
 Thanks for sharing your step by step pictures of the Buffalo Box. Really amazing work.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:40:14 pm by chips »

shissta

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 10:20:32 pm »
Can't wait to see the finished project.  I have never tried intarsia but am interested in the process.

Dawie

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 02:22:51 am »
Looks great so far thanks for the step by step update. How far are you now?
David

sp_343

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 10:34:23 am »
This is going to be AWESOME!  I like your website also...just when I think I have this woodworking thing down...then I see that PinWheel table and noticed that I have alot of growing left to do.

I might buy one of your kits for Intarsia.  I have always wanted to try it...and your kit might be my foot in the door.

Thanks for the pics...keep them coming.  I can't wait to see the final product.

wdkits1

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 11:08:53 am »
Thanks sp 343
I posted a later thread that has the pics of the finished box, but here are a couple more

northie66

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 10:27:25 pm »
This box is so awesome. I wish I could afford it!  I really like this and the animals in the woods thing.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 11:51:11 pm »
I went to your website to see how you constructed the "buffalo box".  Wow!  Thanks for all the tips and the pictures of each step really help.  I  love the accent strip, I don't know why I hadn't thought to route out a  channel for the accent wood.  You do some amazing work.

Barry

SMF

Teknoromi