Author Topic: Bad show  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
Bad show
« on: November 13, 2011, 08:25:41 am »
Had a bad show yesterday.  It was an indoor Christmas Bazaar with close to 70 venders.  I was the only woodworker.  I dont think they had over 200 people show up all day.  Didn't even make booth fees.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Bad show
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:01:57 am »
That's pretty sad, Ray.  I think that has probably happened to many of us.  Sometimes the show just isn't promoted properly and people don't come.  I feel bad for you because of all the work you put into it.  I hope this doesn't discourage you too much.  Perhaps you need to look to another show that has a good history if you choose to do this again.

Keep your chin up!  Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 10:07:40 am »
args!

That's no good at all. How come?

Marshall

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:45:40 am »
So sorry for you , I was always leery of crafts show anyway ........ :(

Dav

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 05:58:02 pm »
I have my one and only show coming up the saturday after thanksgiving and thats what I'm worried about considering their have been a lot of lay offs in  my area and I have two s[ots this year instead of one

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 07:40:08 pm »
I organized a craft fair in aid of my church yesterday. It was our first. We have only a small hall and could fit in 27 vendors each with a 8 foot table. It was highly promoted through posters in the malls and anywhere else that allowed me to pin a poster. It was advertised through free PSA's on local radio and TV stations. I started all this about 6 weeks ago. We had signs through our town and neighboring towns and on the by-pass roads. It was our first craft fair, the tables went quickly and we had a wide assortment of crafts. I advertised for crafts only, no flea market or re-sale items. I thought after that this may be a mistake but in the end it was a good decision. Our ACW ladies sold soup, sandwiches tea and coffee. It was a big undertaking for us. At the end of the day we sold all 27 tables, we had 115 people come through our doors at $1.00 each. I would have really wanted to see many more customers but it was a good start. I spoke to the vendors later in the day and each one said they enjoyed their day and wanted to book tables for next year. This tells me a lot about the crafters. Sometimes it is not about the money. To look at the people there yesterday and see the vendors interacting with each other and customers, and dispite not selling a lot, some didn't cover their table ($10.00) and tells me "I hope you do it again next year, I want to book my table now." I am thinking did the ACW put something in the soup or are these people crazy? I made $80.00 but spent $60.00 and I am happy with the day.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 08:09:56 pm »
I am doing a small one this Saturday only 23, 6 foot tables, I did a mid year one and took over $400 in the 4 hours it was on for, the young lady that runs it is excellent she gets all free advertising and encourages the stall holders to tell all their friends, they are having sausage sizzle and coffee and  lots of free stuff for the kids, there is no door charge
Will let you know how I get on
Jimbo

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 09:45:32 pm »
We have a Teacher's Bazaar in the teachers lounge at school right after thanksgiving. All of the teachers who have "profitable hobbies" set up for a while. Last year I made about a hundred from it. I am hoping it goes as well this year.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 10:15:25 pm »
Hey Ray, Sorry it didn't go well for you. Hopefully it will be better next time.
Dan In Southern California

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 10:37:20 pm »
Nice thing about wood crafts is they don't go bad with time, imagine if you were selling homemade bread!  Better luck next time. I had a similar show this summer (my first, my wife made more selling caramel corn than I did scroll projects) and just continued making projects for my next one.
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 12:09:18 am »
My first market that I did I sold $36 worth of items and the stall was $25, but that $36 turned into $350 from people that had been to my stall.  So my tears turned to joy but I will never forget that experience.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:20:35 am »
 Been there done that, had a show like that where I didn't even make table money. I'am really disapointed that the craft shows aren't like they use to be. I blame the promoters who let anybody in just to rent the space, to me thats not  right. So many people selling jewelry that aren't hand made, and shouldn't be there, thats why I cut a lot of shows out.  Edward

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 10:37:36 am »
thats to bad Ray

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

tux_linux

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 06:44:15 pm »
So Ray - don't take it personal, sometimes it seems to happen.

I have 2 shows the next weekends. First a local sale in front of a friend's chocolate shop. It's an event afternoon where all shops do have specials. I hope to get some sales there, as the kids can make chocolate inside and Mums&Dads have to wait ;D

Next will be a craft show where I surprisingly got a late registration. I thought I was to late - but the craft makers like what I do and gave me their spare tables.

I made lot's of ornaments(100+), animal puzzles(about 20) and some wordart(towns name).
Oh - and I have to bring some to the former nursery of my kids. We know the owner and I have the chance to show some there. I will place some puzzles and some ornaments there.

so much to do so little time!

stipes

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 12:44:05 pm »
Had a bad show yesterday.  It was an indoor Christmas Bazaar with close to 70 venders.  I was the only woodworker.  I dont think they had over 200 people show up all day.  Didn't even make booth fees.

That so sad....I guess things are so bad in some area's it'll be a nightmare to alot of us that have to live that....
  I dont know if you ever heard of the Berea Ky. area,,,kinda a mecca of artist's in crafts here too,,but seems like it's been bad all around,,so keep your chin up...

SMF

Teknoromi