Author Topic: Type of wood for ornaments?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
Type of wood for ornaments?
« on: November 20, 2010, 01:09:36 pm »
What is the best type of wood to use for ornaments?  Hardwood or plywood? Where is the best source for your choice?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Type of wood for ornaments?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 02:22:35 pm »
Hey Ray, I use Both. I use 1/8" Baltic birch and what ever hardwoods I have on hand, such as Mahogany, Red Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Alder and Poplar. I also have some exotic woods that I plan on using. As far a the BB, You can find it at Woodcraft stores and online at www.sloanswoodshop.com. You can get thin hardwoods at Sloan's also. I resaw and plane my hardwoods so I always have what I need.
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 04:20:53 pm »
I use both plywood and hardwoods. I like 1/8" better then 1/4" but depending on the ornament and what I have on hand, I'll use either thickness. I have dyed Baltic Birch plywood ornaments with food coloring, I like the color it adds.
I get most of my wood from Rockler, because it is closer then Woodcraft to me. I have also ordered from sloans and someone on Ebay with good results.
MrsN

Rightarm

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:13:15 pm »
   Ray. What I have been using are gluded up scraps from my scrap bin. I try to mix up my wood, everything from walnut, to spalded maple, to pine. Some of the ornaments have turned out pretty cool. and I don't waste wood. Dave 8)

Becky

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:53:33 am »
I've been using 1/8" maple, walnut, cherry and mahogany.  All have worked just fine. 

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 08:06:07 am »
From the replies, you can see there is no "wrong" wood to use.  If it is the right size and you want to use it - use it.  You can also use old CD's, acrylic sheets, corian, brass, whatever floats your boat.

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:13:52 am »
Thanks everyone for your replys.

SMF

Teknoromi