Author Topic: Glass In Portrait Frames?  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Glass In Portrait Frames?
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:08:50 am »
This subject has probably been discussed before, but, when you get a certain age, one tends to forget more often than not! LOL I love cutting portraits of Native American and western subjects and I have been using frames with glass. What do ya'll think? Does the glass take away from the rustic presentation or does it help preserve the wood and add to the picture? I use 1/8" BB with a black poster paper for backing and glue brown rope around the frames to add to the rustic feature. I am just wandering if the glass takes away the rustic feature? Thanks in advance for your input.

Tony,aka,Toneman

countryscroller

Re: Glass In Portrait Frames?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:21:30 am »
I think it looks good on them, especially ole Sitting Bull you have there. My question because I have never used glass except for frames from Wal-Mart, is what kind of glass do you use? Where do you buy it?

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:28:24 am »
I always use glass.  Usually a UV glass.  I don't want someone to have to dust it (or break it trying to dust it) and wood will yellow with age as sun shines on it.  Actually, it is not the wood that yellows, it is the finish.  Spar urethane has a uv protectant in it.  I never use paper, although many do, as a backer because even black paper fades over the years.  It can also buckle even if it is completely glued in. Fabric and felt also fade.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:39:04 am »
i think it looks great i always use the glass.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:40:03 am »
I use glass because it keeps the dust out and gives the work a more finished look. I used matting material that is somewhat fade resistant. I'm sure it all fades over time, though. Since the plywood is behind glass I don't put a finish on it. Not sure if there is a reason to. Any thoughts on that?
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 03:49:28 pm »
Well maybe thats why I have trouble selling mine.  Till this year I have NEVER used glass.  Make my
frames.  Since we're on this subject.  HOW DOES EVERYONE FEEL ABOUT USING A....PLEXIGLASS????

Was given what seems like Plexiglass that came off a BIG projector T.V.  Trashed the T.V. It seems
like it is 1/16"....  Thanks for comments.... 

And like Dustin I have been picking up some Yard sale frames.  Most seem to be made out of Plastic,
but sure look expensive.  Thanks for any Comments....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 06:56:03 pm »
Danny, the only problems with Plexiglass it scratches easily and dust seems to cling to it. Of course, any free material will find a use.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 02:39:05 am »
I always use glass, it keeps the dust off the project.  I have never used plexiglass.

Marg

MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:44:51 am »
I have a friend who owns a frame shop who supplies my glass but do not know exactly what it is, although it is I guess what you call a safety glass similar to what is used in automobiles. I purchase most of my frames from Wal Mart or a dollar store, and must be wood because I customize them with router or other materials. Thank ya'll for your kind input and suggestions. Hope this thread also helps others.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:32:32 am »
I have been using non glare Plexiglass in my frames for years, works great. I can cut it to any size I need.  8)

After using Plexiglass for over ten years I can say I have had no problems with scratching and or dust.  8)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:44:49 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 09:44:36 am »
Dan, the finish will make the grain in the wood more visible.  Even when I frame something, i finish it first.

Danny, I've never used plexiglass, but I know some people do.  The only bad thing I have heard is that is scratches easily.

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 08:19:59 am »
On a portrait I use glass, on a sign I don't.  Just my opinion.  Love your rope banding.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 09:34:54 am »
just an question on glass in frames.
I'm gonna make my first frame 7,5 x 11,5" and it  has to have glass in it.
problem is the frame has to be 2" deep to hold thicker project.
it's not a picture frame, but more like a little box to hang on the wall with a keepsake in it.

how do I keep the glass from falling back into the frame if I don't want to glue it in there?
any ideas on how to make a frame with glass?

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 10:29:12 am »
Are you making your own frames? If so, you can cut a groove the thickness of the glass on the inside of the frame pieces using a table saw and install the glass before assembly of the frame.

OR...You can glue some small "stop" strips to the inside of the frame to support the glass and then edge band the face to trap the glass between the strips and outer edge banding.

Hope that helps.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 10:48:08 am »
Are you making your own frames? If so, you can cut a groove the thickness of the glass on the inside of the frame pieces using a table saw and install the glass before assembly of the frame.

OR...You can glue some small "stop" strips to the inside of the frame to support the glass and then edge band the face to trap the glass between the strips and outer edge banding.

Hope that helps.

Rog

thangs Rog,

I wan to make it myself, but the first solution will not work for me, I have to paint the frame after it's glued.
and I don't want paint on the glass, so I guess the second one is better.

do you have pictures of that?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi