Author Topic: This is how we roll, or not... what type of chair for scrolling?  (Read 2732 times)

Candi_D

This is how we roll, or not... what type of chair for scrolling?
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:40:25 am »
Just curious what type of seat you use when scrolling? I'm looking at drafting stools & chairs and can't decide if I want something on wheels or not. Does it even matter?

Thanks for your opinions!

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Re: This is how we roll, or not... what type of chair for scrolling?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:40:22 am »
I use an old steel chair with a padded seat and padded backrest - seems I never touch the backrest when scrolling.  I personally would not want a chair capable of moving as I think it would adversely affect my work, especially if the chair decided to move when I was cutting and not expecting movement.

Just my nickels worth....

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 09:57:51 am »
I agree with Al.  I use an old bar stool with padded seat.

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:18:53 am »
I use a padded bar stool. I got mine from Tractor Supply. I have a john deere one for about $40

orangeman

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 10:27:51 am »
For years I had been using a Rockler swivel stool. Then I developed some back issues and decided to purchase a drafting chair with a back rest. My back seems much improved now, especially when I make a conscious effort for my back to make contact with the backrest. There is a great tendacy to lean forward when scrolling and it is obviously a negative for the back. I might add that the scroll saw is tilted in the back. The Rockler stool has a seat height of 29" so I was looking for something with that dimension.
I shopped office supply stores and the "net". I found a site, www.restockit.com that had a huge selection but some specs were incomplete and I couldn't easily tell the seat height of some chairs so I sent them a note and Adam called me with helpful information. I decided on the HON drafting chair (Hon ComforTask Task Swivel Stool, Blue
SKU:HON5905AB90T) which has an adjustable seat height. It was easy to assemble (2 sections) and my back is now much improved.

The chair is on rollers and when you get on it it sinks a couple inches so you have to take that into consideration when adjusting the height. I find the rollers help when I am working with a long piece of wood and need to move away from the table so the piece clears my stomach. The downside is that I need a step stool to get on the chair. So I get on the first step of the step stool and roll the chair up to my backside and hop on. The other negative is that it is olefin fabric and collects saw dust, as does everything else in my shop.

Bottom line: For $157 my back is much improved and I can live with the negatives.

The Puzzleman (aka orangeman)

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:53:12 am »
I use a regular kitchen table type chair. My table is custom  built and I have never cared for stools.  I had one that was really good but a little rickety so I measured the seat height (18") and found a really sturdy one at a yard sale for $4. So far I am happy with it for well over 2 years.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 12:29:21 pm »
I've had this chair for about 15 years and prior to that I used a Drafting chair; I still have both in the shop and each of them are on wheels and have had no problem siting while scrolling. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I can swing around from the saw and roll up to the work bench and continue working. Plus, if it's ever in the way I can give a little push, problem solved.   Love my wheels!!
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Candi_D

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 01:04:07 pm »
Thank you for the feedback, I think I'll just have to try out some chairs and see what seems most comfortable.

daliclimbs

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 02:38:47 pm »
Yea its definitely a personal preference! I use a padded computer chair with a back. It is adjustable up and down and I have it raised to its highest level. Sets perfectly on my saw. Me personally I don't Think I could use a stool. I like having some back support.

king310

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 09:12:33 pm »
I had a metal chair but had to get rid of it for personal reasons. Bought the adjustable shop stool from sears (craftsman logo). it has a back rest and works great. I have been trying figure out how to make a scroll saw stand which has a recliner, refrig, toilet and computor/ TV stand all in one. Would make my wife happy then she would never have to see me!    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 10:50:24 pm »
bar stool with padded seat is all i use.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

LHayes

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 11:31:03 pm »
I also use a Sears stool with an adjustable back.  I have the back adjusted towards the front of the stool so it pushes against my back since I know I lean in a bit when scrolling...I also wear a stretchy back brace most of the time because of a pretty bad back condition.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 06:25:38 am »
I have 2 chairs because I have 2 saws. One is like Al's and the second is a padded bar stool.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

smitty0312

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 07:30:57 am »
I use a padded bar stool with back, got mine at Goodwill pretty cheap.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 09:48:51 am »
I have 2 chairs because I have 2 saws. One is like Al's and the second is a padded bar stool.

That way Marg can get serious about the scrolling at the first chair and enjoy a Fosters at the second.

Have a great day Marg!!

I see the selection on seats/chairs is as variable as everything else here.   Interesting.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

SMF

Teknoromi